2003 Vibe GT can't figure out why it won't rev above 5100 rpm please help

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
beno4420

2003 Vibe GT can't figure out why it won't rev above 5100 rpm please help

Post by beno4420 »

I bought a 2003 Vibe gt a couple months ago that needed a clutch. The car seemed fine besides clutch slipping. I put a new clutch in and started to drive it. The car would not rev past 5100 rpm like it was hitting a rev limiter. Check engine light was on so I pulled the code and it came up as the air cleaner side OCV so I pulled it out and switched it with the other sides OCV and cleared code to see if it would then throw code for it. It ended up throwing same side code so nothing changed. I then cleaned both screens and tried again and same thing. I then pulled valve cover to check lift bolts. One was fine the other was home made. That didn't make sence being a .75 cent part. So I ordered 2 new lift bolt and installed them and no change. I then decided to check timing figuring maybe it was off a tooth. After alot of YouTube and sore back the chain was on off on off etc etc. It was correct and nothing changed. So then I ordered a maf sensor and throttle position sensor and installed them. Still wouldn't rev past 5100 rpm but if I wait for it to warm up then clear the code for the OCV the check engine light goes off and stays off but still wo t rev past 5100 rpm. I'm completely stumped. Today I looked at injectors and there correct for the 2zz. I'm thinking it must be the ECU at this point. I need to mention there's alot of noise coming from under valve cover when cold, like it's trying to kick in lift. When engines warmed up it sounds fine. Any help would be great. I also thought clogged cat but I drilled a whole into it and in front of it about the size of my finger and it didn't change anything.
zbyers

Re: 2003 Vibe GT can't figure out why it won't rev above 5100 rpm please help

Post by zbyers »

What are the actual codes? Are there any pending codes that aren't throwing the light? I presume you didn't drive it much at purchase with the slipping clutch, but was it fine before you replaced the clutch? If so, I'd start looking at the install of the clutch and anything you may have disassembled to do so.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
beno4420

Post by beno4420 »

The only code is for the airbox side ocv. Iv switched the two to see if code would follow but it didnt. After car is warmed up I can cLear the code and it's stays off until the next day. When I bought the car the clutch was slipping so I didn't push the rpms up. The clutch was a straight installation no issues. I'm leaning twoRd it being the ecu. I will definitely post back after trying it, I'm just waiting for a cheap one to pop up on epay
hogdoctor

Post by hogdoctor »

I suspect valve float : the original rev limiter.
jolt

Post by jolt »

What is the P code that you are seeing? Read freeze frame data using the hand–held tester or OBD II scan tool, as freeze frame data records the engine conditions when the malfunction is detected.

Connect the hand–held tester and select VVTL from ACTIVE TEST menu. With engine at 1500 to 2500 rpm's, VVT system is OFF with scan tool engine should be running smooth and normal. Forcing VVT system is ON with scan tool should produce rough idle or engine stalled. If that does not happen you have a bad VVT control valve or wiring problem. Ohm out the control valve wiring from the ECM to the valve and check for shorts or opens in the wires.

If you have a bad signal from the oil pressure switch for the VVT the ECU will ever engage the VVT valve. Have you checked that wiring and switch? You did clean both screens for the oil pressure feeds to the VVT system?

All these test are covered in the service manual. Until you start testing to eliminate possible causes of your problem, you are only guessing. All people on line can do is guess too, with information you provide from your testing. If you do not have the equipment to test with then all you can do is keep guessing until you stumble across the problem or take it to someone that does have the proper tools and information to diagnose the problem for you.
beno4420

Post by beno4420 »

I bought a ecu from eBay that matched the car. No change at all. Yes I cleaned both screens. The only scanner I have is a cheap one that is good for pulling codes. The only code I get is for the airbox side OCV. Iv switched the two with same result. I have a friend that has the newest snap on scanners. I'm going to have him bring it next time he's coming here. I really thought it would be the computer.
beno4420

Post by beno4420 »

That would be wild if it was the oil pressure switch. I have a couple old honda prelude parts cars I should be able to pull the switch from one and swap it in or buy a new one.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

providing us the codes would be your best bet. without those, it's a crap shoot.

beno4420

Post by beno4420 »

I did post code. It must be weak valve springs. It has got to be floating the valves.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Actually, you never posted the code. You only posted this:
The only code I get is for the airbox side OCV.
That is not the code. That is your interpretation of the code.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

vibrologist wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:22 am Actually, you never posted the code. You only posted this:
The only code I get is for the airbox side OCV.
That is not the code. That is your interpretation of the code.
Exactly.