02 bank 1 sensor 2 tests incomplete?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Svdharma

02 bank 1 sensor 2 tests incomplete?

Post by Svdharma »

I have a 2009 base model, bone stock with the 2.4 liter engine and manual transmission. I just hooked up an OBD2 sensor, and in the "tests results" section of Torque one of my 02 sensors (bank 1 sensor 2) says "test incomplete or a dependent test failed". I don't have any failed tests and its been at least 1000 miles of highway and city driving since I unplugged the battery or reset the ECU. I did reset the ECU today and drove about 100 miles to see if the tests would complete, but I ended up with the same results. My gas mileage (according to torque) seems a bit low as well... it was averaging 26 MPH with cruse control set at 85 on the interstate, and about 27-28 with the cruise control set at 70.

Does anyone who has a 2.4 and the Torque app have the same result? Not sure if this is normal or if I need a new 02 sensor.
jolt

Re: 02 bank 1 sensor 2 tests incomplete?

Post by jolt »

Your fuel mileage looks great to me. The 2.4L is EPA mileage est. (cty/hwy) of 21/28 mpg. Mileage really drops off going 85 vs going 70. Anytime you get EPA mileage numbers, your doing great because most manufactures pump these numbers up.

What brand "code reader" are you using to plug into the port? If you did not spend at least $100.00 or more for a low end "scanner", I doubt the reader is capable of doing testing. Anything less that $50.00 is just a code reader and not very useful for doing any real diagnostic work on a vehicle. These cheaper reader use the old ELM327 chip or some variation of it. If you Google "ELM327" or read more about the chip here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELM327 . Be sure to read the part about the "Pirate clones" of the ELM327.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I recently purchased the Torque Pro app and Im able to read voltages on both O2 sensors. I have a 2003 base. Still learning what everything means, from what I understand Bank 1 sensor 1 is the upstream sensor ( near intake ) and bank 1 sensor 2 is the downstream sensor ( after cat ) Its great app, but it would have been nice to be able to read fuel pressure. I did read the app will only gives you info that the ECU is monitoring....which makes sense. Closest I can get to fuel pressue is fuel trim readings. Oh well.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Svdharma

Post by Svdharma »

My adaptor is probably a clone, it was $15 on Amazon, but it seems to work correctly. The test I'm referring to is an ECU self test, if I understand correctly. Regardless, I found both 02 sensors on amazon for under $100 total (for OEM ones), so I replaced them both. The self test still reports as incomplete, so I'm guessing that's a firmware issue, but my gas mileage is way better. According to Torque I'm now getting 30+ around town, even when I'm driving aggressively, which is a few MPG better than before. Next time I get on the interstate I'll get numbers for the same route at 70 and 80 MPH. I'm thinking about replacing the MAF sensor now after seeing such an improvement after replacing "good" 02 sensors.