Torque Converter Lockup Solenoid

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
danimal86

Torque Converter Lockup Solenoid

Post by danimal86 »

Hey everyone.
I was very active on matrixowners a while back, but it seems to be dead jim. Anyways, I've still got the 2006 Matrix Xr with the automatic trans. Still just chugging along. I got a CEL (P0741) for the lock up solenoid. I changed the transmission fluid (just a drain and refill) about at 100k miles (at 150k now) and used the T-IV safe transmission fluid.
Tomorrow i'm going to try to pull the pan and do a proper flush by following this:
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132- ... ics/325325

while i've got it open, i'm going to replace the solenoid and i also bought some Toyota T-IV transmission fluid (as per the link). Do these solenoids just slide out after i unscrew the harness and unclip the connector? The just slide the new one back in?

I ordered one from Rockauto for $75 and it was shipped from Tx to me in CA. It took a detour from Tx to Honolulu HI......How the (removed) did that end up happening? Lucky little solenoid got a Hawaiian vacation. In a scramble i called around to every parts place and no one could get it in by this weekend (i have a 50 mile commute each way and dont want to drive my Tundra). My local Toyota parts dept was able to get one in today for the low low price of $250 bucks. Ouch.

Any advice? Toyota said not to bother with buying a new screen filter, just give it a good clean.
danimal86

Re: Torque Converter Lockup Solenoid

Post by danimal86 »

So i went ahead and got the solenoid from toyota this morning and went ahead and followed the instruction as per the link. I went ahead and swapped the solenoid which was just an easy unscrew, remove and replace.

I'll update in a couple days if the cel comes back (fingers crossed it doesn't).

Ps. those pliers made removing the hose from the cooler a piece of cake.
danimal86

Re: Torque Converter Lockup Solenoid

Post by danimal86 »

So i'm about 300 miles in and no CEL. Was getting around 25mpg before, first tank was 30.5 (all freeway, some 90mph with a/c on). Hopefully i'll get back to 32-35ish on fwy.