Peak Asian Coolant

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ColonelPanic

Peak Asian Coolant

Post by ColonelPanic »

I was at Meijer tonight picking up some oil and noticed a coolant I had not seen there before... Two varieties of Peak - one red for Toyotas, one blue for Hondas. The red flavor is for use in applications that take either red or pink. It was $16 and some change for a gallon of 50/50 pre-diluted. The label indicates there is also a full strength available, but it was not carried at my store.

I haven't had the coolant changed in the car for several years (well past the 2 year recommended interval on that Toyota red) so this stuff caught my eye. Anybody tried it yet?

Link
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
orlando3131

Re: Peak Asian Coolant

Post by orlando3131 »

ColonelPanic wrote:I was at Meijer tonight picking up some oil and noticed a coolant I had not seen there before... Two varieties of Peak - one red for Toyotas, one blue for Hondas. The red flavor is for use in applications that take either red or pink. It was $16 and some change for a gallon of 50/50 pre-diluted. The label indicates there is also a full strength available, but it was not carried at my store.

I haven't had the coolant changed in the car for several years (well past the 2 year recommended interval on that Toyota red) so this stuff caught my eye. Anybody tried it yet?

Link
I'm sure it'll work fine but for peace of mind I would just use the Toyota super long life brand pink stuff.
Last edited by orlando3131 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I haven't used the Peak version, but the Zerex or whichever it's called. Serves it's purpose. Downfall: prediluted is typically more expensive than full strength so you get half as much for a bit more.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I've used Zerex Asian as well and trust its formulation well enough. A friend gave me a gallon she didn't need. I imagine Peak is similar stuff, and would certainly use it if someone gave it to me!

Last time I priced Toyota's coolant at the stealership, it was $40/gal with tax. Sorry, not for a ten-year-old car. (Like I don't get expensive haircuts anymore. No need to polish a turd.)

In my area, I can't find undiluted on the shelf.

I believe 50K miles/5 years is a decent change interval for that stuff, so you're probably okay.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

andrewclaus wrote:Last time I priced Toyota's coolant at the stealership, it was $40/gal with tax. Sorry, not for a ten-year-old car. (Like I don't get expensive haircuts anymore. No need to polish a turd.)
Same here. I've historically been a huge proponent of using OEM fluids (and still am for our newer cars.) But at this point I don't know if it's worth it for a car that turns 16 in a few days. I can take the few bucks I save and put that aside for the rust repair / repaint fund. :lol:

Image Image
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Seems this stuff wasn't much of a hit at my local Meijer, it's on clearance now for $7 and some change. That's the second markdown I've noticed (it was $11 a few weeks ago.) Your mileage may vary, not sure if it's like that in all stores.

At that price, I'm going to pick up a couple gallons.

Image Image
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

ColonelPanic wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:49 pm Seems this stuff wasn't much of a hit at my local Meijer, it's on clearance now for $7 and some change.
I'll have to see if our local Meijer (one just two miles from me and we shop there all the time) has the same offer!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

tpollauf wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:39 pm
ColonelPanic wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:49 pm Seems this stuff wasn't much of a hit at my local Meijer, it's on clearance now for $7 and some change.
I'll have to see if our local Meijer (one just two miles from me and we shop there all the time) has the same offer!
Unfortunately, my wife left Michigan a month ago, and they don't have Meijer in Houston. Houston is a VERY competitive supermarket market.
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

I bought the ZEREX™ Asian Vehicle (pink) at Walmart last year for $13.85 for my '09 Vibe GT. No problems to date.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Bap Geon has the concentrate available. They're about the only ones. Everyone else wants to sell premixed, which is fine for a drain and fill, but useless for a flush.