Peak Asian Coolant

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ColonelPanic

Peak Asian Coolant

Postby ColonelPanic » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:31 pm

I was at Meijer tonight picking up some oil and noticed a coolant I had not seen there before... Two varieties of Peak - one red for Toyotas, one blue for Hondas. The red flavor is for use in applications that take either red or pink. It was $16 and some change for a gallon of 50/50 pre-diluted. The label indicates there is also a full strength available, but it was not carried at my store.

I haven't had the coolant changed in the car for several years (well past the 2 year recommended interval on that Toyota red) so this stuff caught my eye. Anybody tried it yet?

Link
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Neptune. Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 130k mi.

'13 Sonic LT - 1.4L ECOTEC turbo/6A. 90k mi.
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost, FWD. 43k mi. (hers)
ImageImage

orlando3131

Re: Peak Asian Coolant

Postby orlando3131 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:26 pm

ColonelPanic wrote:I was at Meijer tonight picking up some oil and noticed a coolant I had not seen there before... Two varieties of Peak - one red for Toyotas, one blue for Hondas. The red flavor is for use in applications that take either red or pink. It was $16 and some change for a gallon of 50/50 pre-diluted. The label indicates there is also a full strength available, but it was not carried at my store.

I haven't had the coolant changed in the car for several years (well past the 2 year recommended interval on that Toyota red) so this stuff caught my eye. Anybody tried it yet?

Link

I'm sure it'll work fine but for peace of mind I would just use the Toyota super long life brand pink stuff.
Last edited by orlando3131 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

zbyers

Postby zbyers » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:33 am

I haven't used the Peak version, but the Zerex or whichever it's called. Serves it's purpose. Downfall: prediluted is typically more expensive than full strength so you get half as much for a bit more.
Ruby- 03 Salsa, Ray[is]AWD- 04 Salsa AWD, Simon- 03 Silver "Faux by Four"
Raven- 03 Abyss GT, Neptune- 05 AWD, Robyn- 07 Stealth Gray Metallic, Mystic- 09 AWD

GenVibe on Facebook, Everything You Need To Know About Vibes, Great How-To Index

andrewclaus

Postby andrewclaus » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:27 am

I've used Zerex Asian as well and trust its formulation well enough. A friend gave me a gallon she didn't need. I imagine Peak is similar stuff, and would certainly use it if someone gave it to me!

Last time I priced Toyota's coolant at the stealership, it was $40/gal with tax. Sorry, not for a ten-year-old car. (Like I don't get expensive haircuts anymore. No need to polish a turd.)

In my area, I can't find undiluted on the shelf.

I believe 50K miles/5 years is a decent change interval for that stuff, so you're probably okay.

ColonelPanic

Postby ColonelPanic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 pm

andrewclaus wrote:Last time I priced Toyota's coolant at the stealership, it was $40/gal with tax. Sorry, not for a ten-year-old car. (Like I don't get expensive haircuts anymore. No need to polish a turd.)

Same here. I've historically been a huge proponent of using OEM fluids (and still am for our newer cars.) But at this point I don't know if it's worth it for a car that turns 16 in a few days. I can take the few bucks I save and put that aside for the rust repair / repaint fund. :lol:
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Neptune. Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 130k mi.

'13 Sonic LT - 1.4L ECOTEC turbo/6A. 90k mi.
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost, FWD. 43k mi. (hers)
ImageImage

Return to “Engine & Transmission”