2010 Vibe Base ATF drain and fill at 37,700 miles side by side Fluid comparison Pic

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
orlando3131

2010 Vibe Base ATF drain and fill at 37,700 miles side by side Fluid comparison Pic

Post by orlando3131 »

I thought I'd do a drain and fill of the tranny fluid. More so because the fluid is almost ten years old despite of the low mileage. I was able to get out 3.17 quarts of fluid and it looked clean and red when it was draining. I thought i was wasting my time but after looking at it next to some new Toyota WS ATF, I'm glad I did it. I don't care if Toyota says it's "lifetime" fluid with no need to change it under normal condition. After seeing how dirty the fluid was compared to fresh fluid, I'll be doing a drain and fill on the tranny every 40k to play it safe.

Since Toyota claims that the ATF is a "lifetime" fluid, by doing a simple "drain and fill" that replaces about half of the U341E automatic transmission's 6.9 U.S. quart total capacity at least every few years, your vehicle's maintenance will be far ahead of the average Vibe/Matrix/Corolla owner. :D

Transylvania

Re: 2010 Vibe Base ATF drain and fill at 37,700 miles side by side Fluid comparison Pic

Post by Transylvania »

Totally agree. Hard to fathom that there is anything 'lifetime' when it comes to fluids, which do break down. I typically change the ATF every 30,000 miles, along with the coolant. Engine oil every 5,000 miles, using semi-synthetic. With these schedules, I just sold my 2003 Camry with 300,000 miles and still going strong.
jolt

Re: 2010 Vibe Base ATF drain and fill at 37,700 miles side by side Fluid comparison Pic

Post by jolt »

I would suggest that you change the filter on your next drain. With the pan dropped, you can clean the bottom of the pan and the pan magnets. When you see the ultra fine particles in the bottom of the pan, you will know way the filter should be changed. Would you change your motor oil without changing the filter?
orlando3131

Post by orlando3131 »

jolt wrote:I would suggest that you change the filter on your next drain. With the pan dropped, you can clean the bottom of the pan and the pan magnets. When you see the ultra fine particles in the bottom of the pan, you will know way the filter should be changed. Would you change your motor oil without changing the filter?
I plan on dropping the pan and changing out the filter on my next drain. I'm still searching for which brand gasket/filter to go with, any suggestions? I just wanted to at least get some cleaner fluid in there now. Dropping the pan will also get some more fluid out of the transmission. There is probably a good .2 quarts sitting on the bottom of the pan that never gets drained.
orlando3131

Post by orlando3131 »

Transylvania wrote:Totally agree. Hard to fathom that there is anything 'lifetime' when it comes to fluids, which do break down. I typically change the ATF every 30,000 miles, along with the coolant. Engine oil every 5,000 miles, using semi-synthetic. With these schedules, I just sold my 2003 Camry with 300,000 miles and still going strong.
My next thing is to change out the coolant next. It looks nice and pink now and tests fine when I checked it. I at least want to replace the coolant in the reservoir and radiator with some new super long life coolant.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I thought our Vibes required ATF change evry 60K per the manual ?
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
orlando3131

Post by orlando3131 »

cptnsolo77 wrote:I thought our Vibes required ATF change evry 60K per the manual ?
As far as the 2010 model It's only recommended to be changed every 60k if you drive your car under mostly under one or more of these severe conditions;

− In heavy city traffic where the outside
temperature regularly reaches 90°F (32°C)
or higher.
− In hilly or mountainous terrain.
− When doing frequent trailer towing.
− Uses such as found in taxi, police or delivery
service.

If you do not use your vehicle under these conditions, the fluid does not require changing, just checked per manual.

Not everything can be believed from the owners manual. For example these engines have Toyota super long life coolant in them (Pink Stuff), but the owners manual tells you "when coolant is added or changed, use DEX-COOL coolant." (Orange stuff) I wouldn't put Dex-cool in my worst enemies car let alone put in in my coolant system. You're better off looking at an owners manual from a Corolla or Matrix to get the most accurate maintenance schedule on these cars than you are from GM.
orlando3131

Post by orlando3131 »

Bolt Torque values in case anyone is interesting in dropping the pan and doing a filter change 09-10 Vibe.

Pan bolts- 69 inch ft. lbs
Filter bolts- 8 Ft. lbs. or 96 inch Ft lbs.
Drain bolt- 36 Ft. lbs.
Drain bolt gasket part # 90430-18008
Auto Trans Filter Kit PRO-KING FK340
Transylvania

Post by Transylvania »

Great information Orlando. Thank you!
jolt

Post by jolt »

orlando3131 wrote:Bolt Torque values in case anyone is interesting in dropping the pan and doing a filter change 09-10 Vibe.

Drain bolt- 36 Ft. lbs.

This would be for the front wheel drive only model. The AWD Vibe has a different transmission in it. Count you number of pan bolts to verify which transmission you have before ordering parts and looking up bolt torques.
orlando3131

Post by orlando3131 »

jolt wrote:
orlando3131 wrote:Bolt Torque values in case anyone is interesting in dropping the pan and doing a filter change 09-10 Vibe.

Drain bolt- 36 Ft. lbs.

This would be for the front wheel drive only model. The AWD Vibe has a different transmission in it. Count you number of pan bolts to verify which transmission you have before ordering parts and looking up bolt torques.
That's correct. This info applies to Vibes 09-10 base 1.8l 2ZRFE Front wheel drive, with U340E,U341E 4 speed automatic transmission 19 bolt pan. I should have been more specific.