Transmission may be gone... :(

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Megladon7

Transmission may be gone... :(

Post by Megladon7 »

My wife has been driving our '03 Vibe with the 5-speed manual transmission sense we acquired it in 2015. Other than wheel bearing and half shaft replacements, it has been a nice workhorse commuter car for her.

The other day, while driving in 5th gear at probably 45mph, it started some serious thumping and she had to pull off the road. The engine was still running but it was in neutral and no way to get it into gear. The clutch didn't seem to do anything. We had it towed, and when we pushed it into position for the tow truck it winch it onto it's bed, about every 1/3 rotation of the wheel, there would be a serious "thump" that seemed to be coming from the front driver side wheel.

When I got it home, I pulled the wheel, the bearing seems fine. Pulled the drive shaft, that seems fine. Checked the clutch mechanism, it seems to work as it should (at least mechanically). But the clutch does not seem to actuate anything in the transmission. Can't get it into any gear other than reverse.

When I drained the transmission oil prior to pulling the shaft, it was dark, like used motor oil dark, and seemed thin.

Thoughts? Words of wisdom?

Thanks All!

P.S.
It has a rebuilt transmission installed at about 80,000 miles in 2014ish.
zbyers

Re: Transmission may be gone... :(

Post by zbyers »

It could be more clutch related than transmission. did you check the shifter linkage to make sure it is still hooked up? I think the only way you'll really find out is to drop the transmission and look.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Megladon7

Post by Megladon7 »

Linkage looks good. I don't see a problem with the clutch slave cylinder. Haven't found the master or reservoir (Is it hidden by the brake fluid reservoir?)

I'm in the process of removing the transmission. Currently dealing with a very sticky driver side shaft. :evil:

Any other thoughts, chime right in.

I'll update as I go along.
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

Swap it out for a used C60 trans from the Vibe GT or Matrix XRS, it's a much more robust transmission and should be decently cheap off a donor car.
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
jolt

Post by jolt »

If the clutch disc facing/lining came off the disc, it could be wedge in the bell housing, locking it all up. Even if the disc is bad, you still have been able to shift it into gear. You may have to rock the car back and forth, but it should have went into a gear. If the transmission is bad, search this forum board as others here have swapped the six speed in. The five speeds have issues with bearings in the transmission where the six speed does not. If doing the six speed swap, keep in mind that it is not just the transmission but all the other related parts that must be switched too. The best thing to do in that case is to find a donor car to all the parts needed for the swap. The final drive ratio is different between the five and six speeds too.
Megladon7

Post by Megladon7 »

IS there a clutch master cylinder/reservoir under the hood?

Should I be looking under the dash in the cabin?

Does it share the brake reservoir?

Inquiring minds want to know.... :)
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The clutch and brakes use the same master cylinder, at least on the 03-08's
Megladon7

Post by Megladon7 »

A CLUE!

Well, maybe a clue. I was following the procedure for removing the transmission and reached the "remove the starter" step without too much trouble. I removed the electrical connections, removed the upper retaining bolt (I bit of a pain, but not too bad), and removed the lower retaining bolt.

I was expecting the starter to drop right out, but it's stuck tighter than a tick.

I tried a tap or two with a hammer to loosen it up. No luck.

Thoughts?
hogdoctor

Post by hogdoctor »

If your clutch did in fact die a violent death, debris from the explosion may be jammed into the starter and holding on to it. Hit it harder, or just carry on with the transmission removal and don't be surprised when at some point, it falls out on it's own.
lm7212

Post by lm7212 »

My '04 C59 5th gear went out at 80mph 80 miles from my cabin. It had 80k miles on it. What a delightful Saturday that was, thanks so much Toyota. (grrr) Got it there using 1st 3rd and 4th, grinding most the way and not using the trans to decelerate. (was quoted a $400 tow and I knew that tranny was already junk, don't judge please, had my dog and handicapped son with me, not much choice)

Needless to say I NEED A TRANSMISSION! Cabin is located in northwest WI. If you have a junker 5spd Matrix or Vibe 2002-04/2004 date on the door, we need to talk. Any year 6 speed before 09 body change we should talk. I'm willing to travel in the Midwest with a truck and a envelope of cash. Let me know when where and how much. I'm user lm7212. Contact me here and will give you cell to text or call. THANK YOU KIND SOUL IN HELPING MY MATRIX TO ROLL!

I'll be working out of an enclosed cement floor shed, sorry not interested in corolla C56's, not a sophisticated shop situation to do a bunch of custom linkage work and hope the axles convert.

Could use help here friends!