No lift/Misfire P1693 P0420 HELP PLX!

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Mozilla2ZZ

No lift/Misfire P1693 P0420 HELP PLX!

Post by Mozilla2ZZ »

I have a misfire and my lift has exited the building also. I do have a exhaust leak at my cat or around there, haven't investigated that much. I'm not sure what it could be. I replaced the OCV furthest from the battery and the lift bolts as well as water/oil pumps and timing chain tensioners and sprocket (not the vvtl-i gear however..) The car had been performing remarkably but at last all good things must come to an abrupt end in cars. I also have not cleaned the strainers, I am concerned slightly about the misfiring because I lost lift before due to broken lift bolt but I had been enjoying it for at least about 5k miles now I would say. Any ideas folks?
Also here are what my OBD2 monitors were showing.
https://imgur.com/a/XElYliP
https://imgur.com/a/ILWRZOF
hogdoctor

Re: No lift/Misfire P1693 P0420 HELP PLX!

Post by hogdoctor »

Your P0420 could be the result of your exhaust leak, so I would get that leak fixed before getting excited about that.
The P1693 seems to be just telling you what you already know, lift is not working.
Neither of these point toward a misfire. If you did have a misfire, how do you not have a code for combustion failure?

Patrick
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

P0420 is a bad converter 99% of the time. However, with an exhaust leak, it could be from that. I'd seal up that exhaust leak and see if the code persists. P0420 shouldn't cause you to not have lift.

when you tried to hit lift, did you ensure it was up to operating temperatures?
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Mozilla2ZZ

Post by Mozilla2ZZ »

Okay so strangely enough it seems that it fixed itself..? Idk I went through insured the ocv throttle body MAF injector wires plug wires etc were secured nothing felt loose really topped it off on oil and fuel and cleared my codes and it's engaging and pulling nice and isn't re thrown it yet. We shall see. As far as temps I never ream on any engine unless at operating temps #MechanicalSympathy! As far as the misfiring that is what it sorta felt like but it seemed more like it may have been fuel cutting or stuttering from the limp mode / lack of lift but it didn't throw a misfire code.. Not sure honestly. Any other passing thoughts or ideas on what I should investigate as I am not sure if it's FIXED or "fixed".. Expertise appreciated!
Mozilla2ZZ

Post by Mozilla2ZZ »

UPDATE: Second day tried giving her a little hell and she went back into limp mode... Went through lift in first and second a few hard times and had no issues, now going back to limp/no lift mode.. Anyone with info let me know.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Have you checked the lift bolts? Makes me wonder if maybe one is broke or something? i dunno.

Mozilla2ZZ

Post by Mozilla2ZZ »

zbyers wrote:Have you checked the lift bolts? Makes me wonder if maybe one is broke or something? i dunno.
"I replaced the OCV furthest from the battery and the lift bolts as well as water/oil pumps and timing chain tensioners and sprocket (not the vvtl-i gear however..)" From main post, but yeah gonna try cleaning OCV filters next and hope. Not sure what to think of it. It still goes back and forth working to not and occasionally working but struggling through power so trying to give it a break till I get down to something definitive.. Thanks for all help please keep ideas flowing still quite disappointed on no lift...
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

ahhh. i missed that part. sorry. good luck and keep us posted.

Mozilla2ZZ

Post by Mozilla2ZZ »

No sweat dude. Thanks.

Update:
Alright I feel as though I determined it has lift a lot of the time but losing lift again when I try to do harder pulls in higher gears (however not limited to this happens in low gears occasionally too..) as well as hard pulls uphill for some reason. Also lift has gone and it's NOT re throwing the P1693 if that means anything to anyone out there, tried running diags again and clearing possible codes and scanning again but It's not throwing that 1693 again for some reason even though lift is gone.. Got a busy week but hopefully have the other OCV closer to the battery and both oil filters for the OCVs cleaned.. Let me know any insight please!