Weird auto trans problem

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Pbadgley

Weird auto trans problem

Post by Pbadgley »

2006 Vibe base. All foward gears work perfect in D no slippage no binding. When in neutral the car is still in drive but doesnt seem fully engaged. In reverse i got nothing. When i rev it in reverse the egnige goes to 2000rpm. No signs of movement or transmision load but it hits the stall speed of the tourqe converter. If i slowly try to hunt for reverse as i get closer to park the car starts to go into a forward gear and then you can hear it start to hit the park detent pin. When the car is in park and i try to rev the engine it goes to 2000rpm. I have adjusted the cable but it still does what i described. Any thoughts? I read its common for the valves in the valvebody to stick as well as the valvebody warping from over heating. I dont recall overheaing it and the fluid is still red and no burnt smell.
2005 Vibe Base
Kenwood DNX5120 stereo system
Underdrive Crank pulley
K&N Typhoon SRI
HID headlights and Xenon Fog Lights
Caretaker

Re: Weird auto trans problem

Post by Caretaker »

yep, the valvebody issue is what plagued the older Kia/Hyundai transmissions, of which I currently own. The transmission started doing all kinds of weird things, especially in reverse, of which the dealership said was caused by me not flushing out the tranny fluid driving in an urban, high stress environment. B.S.
Sorry I don't have any info for you regarding the Toyota transmission. The dealers, as you would expect, simply put in a reconditioned unit since it is cheaper than taking all the valve bodies apart.
vibrologist

Re: Weird auto trans problem

Post by vibrologist »

If it is sticking valve you may have luck with Lucas Transmission Fix.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476