looking for help. 2003 Vibe gt dies

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
kitt

looking for help. 2003 Vibe gt dies

Post by kitt »

I have a 2003 Vibe gt. The problem started as the car would die when stopping, No codes at first the problem was intermittent, So I replaced the MAF,TPS, IAC, each time I worked on it it would run good for a few day's and then would start dyeing at stop lights and anytime I would stop the car, Then the throttle would have poor or no response at times so we took it to a shop, They pulled three codes out 1, P0102 MAF signal low. 2, P0122 TPS sensor one circuit low. 3, P0113 Intake air temp circuit high. Does anybody have any clues Thanks for reading
andrewclaus

Re: looking for help. 2003 Vibe gt dies

Post by andrewclaus »

I'd start with a wiring diagram and check for control voltage at the ECM and the devices. Especially look for shared junctions in the wiring system. According to one diagram I have for a Corolla, the TPS and MAF share a junction connector. The intake air temp sensor should be part of the MAF.
kitt

Post by kitt »

andrewclaus wrote:I'd start with a wiring diagram and check for control voltage at the ECM and the devices. Especially look for shared junctions in the wiring system. According to one diagram I have for a Corolla, the TPS and MAF share a junction connector. The intake air temp sensor should be part of the MAF.
Thanks I just need to find a wiring schematic
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I dropped the engine control wiring diagram in your other thread. { viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46651 }

I had a non-Vibe that did something similar because of a disconnected vacuum hose, so that might be something else to look for.

and welcome to genvibe. How long have you had the car,? Is this something that didn't used to happen but suddenly started? And obligatory question, was anything else done to the car at or about the time the problem started?
Dans2003GT

Post by Dans2003GT »

My 2003 GT started the same behavior just recently. I just replaced the coolant temp sensor as it had a code, but in order to do it I had to disconnect what seemed like a 10 or 15 rubber hoses. It is acting like what Kitt described minus dying, and it is intermittent. After getting off the freeway, it had basically a dead peal in first gear, then it caught and went. It has no codes, but runs like crap. I did the best I could to check for vacuum leaks using carb cleaner, and nothing I could find. I think I have a bad injector somewhere, or maybe something else fuel related, I can see a puff of black smoke when starting from a stop, and at WOT. If anyone has any pics regarding setting up a fuel pressure gauge on the 2zz, it would be appreciated. As a side note, it runs better in higher revs than it does anywhere else in between, and at certain times I get next to zero throttle response from a stop, and a rough idle without the A/C on. I am frustrated as sometimes it runs great, and then it does this crap at random. Any help with isolating this would be great, and please no dumb stuff like get a better scan tool, or trace the entire wiring harness using a diagram, those comments help NOBODY.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The attached file lists what to check for various 2ZZ performance symptoms, might be a pointer where to start looking.
Attachments
pstd4000.pdf
(20.18 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I would check the throttle position sensor. There are plenty Youtubes on how to test them.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476