P1310, P1315 engine dies randomly

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Dans2003GT

P1310, P1315 engine dies randomly

Post by Dans2003GT »

Hey guys, having issues with the 2zz. Engine shuts off shortly after hitting lift, CEL displays codes 1310 and 1315. Moving coils around does not seem to effect anything. Mostly 1310 shows up when this happens. I can drive the car normally after shutting it off, disconnecting and re-connecting the coil wires, and clearing the code(s). As long as I do not try to do a hard pull, it runs ok, but feels like it is hesitating while maintaining speed, does not feel like a hard miss, and some throttle input seems to smooth it out. Plugs are new, coils are original as far as I know. The connector clips for the coils do not fully seat on #3 and #4, I can pull them off without depressing the tabs, don't seem to be broken or cracked just won't fully seat. I will look at them further when the engine is not screamin hot. I am not convinced that is what is causing this, as it will run fairly normal until I try to hit lift, even with A/C on going uphill. Maybe you can point me to a test procedure, I cannot seem to find one specific to the 2zz. If anyone has ever experienced this, please let me know how ya solved it. Also, if anyone knows where to get 2zz coils for a reasonable non dealer price, please share. Thanks for reading.
hogdoctor

Re: P1310, P1315 engine dies randomly

Post by hogdoctor »

Consider the possibility that the lift mechanism is sticking and the change in cam timing is prompting a misfire which in turn is triggering the codes.
Just a theory, your mileage may vary.
jolt

Re: P1310, P1315 engine dies randomly

Post by jolt »

Joatmon posted this file back in 2010. Here is a link to that file: http://forums.genvibe.com/files/importe ... ip1300.pdf

If you did a search, there is a lot of information on this forum.

You may want to check your crank and cam sensors too. You need to start testing to find the problem.