Vibe is vibratin'

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
professorjedi

Vibe is vibratin'

Post by professorjedi »

Hey all,

Ok so my 2010 Vibe AWD 2.4L has started to vibrate when idling in Drive, a little in Park, and none in Neutral.

I've recently changed air filter and cleaned the MAF.

OBD II reader is showing no codes.

RPMS with warm engine are:

PARK 790 - 817 slight vibration

NEUTRAL 790 - 840 no vibration

DRIVE and stopped 635 - 680 moderate vibration

Any thoughts?

Mike
2010 2.4L AWD almost 100K miles
vibrologist

Re: Vibe is vibratin'

Post by vibrologist »

Check engine and transmission mounts.
How many miles on your Vibe?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
professorjedi

Post by professorjedi »

Hey vibrologist,

Thanks for the info. The mileage on my Vibe is 72,000.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

iridium plugs and Denso ignition coils. They are wear items and need to be replaced. Sometimes you don't achieve the 100,000 miles on these items. I changed mine out early. Car is purring like a kitten and drinking like a fish.
professorjedi

Post by professorjedi »

hey caretaker... did u replace due to vibrations?

Even so, I think I'll probably do the plugs and coils anyway even if it does turn out to be the mounts just to keep ahead of the maintenance ;)

Thanks!
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

misfiring and arcing is common with failing ignition coils and manifests as a stuttering/shaking engine. This is a regular theme on the Honda Fit boards and may have something to do with harder working small engines. Anyway, I replaced mine as preventative maintenance. If I lived out in the countryside I'd probably forgo doing any preventative maintenance but in the big city, incurring a breakdown in traffic could mean the end of your life with people speeding by you and distracted driving. I do whatever it takes to avoid mechanical failures due to my own negligence.