Transmission issues 2006 base auto?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Blanco_Diablo

Transmission issues 2006 base auto?

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Hey fellow Genvibers, haven't been very active in a while but a situation has presented itself, so I'm looking for advice/people with similar experiences. Went for the routine registration renewal emissions test that is required in Oregon and right before I pulled up to the testing station the CEL came on. Failed the emissions test due to the CEL showing two codes: P0171 & P0741. I have until May 5th (registration deadline) to figure out what to do (more on that below).

My career has me out here away from any fam/friends with in-depth car knowledge, and since no one I know seems to have a reputable mechanic to refer me to I brought it onto the dealer service dept. that I purchased the Vibe from 12 years ago (I know, please withhold judgement, LOL). But, I'm not sure how I feel about their findings:

• P0171- Need to replace intake gasket, throttle body gasket and pre cat. O2 sensor.
I feel like this is legit as I have seen symptoms of these issues and all are totally possible on 12 year old car

• P0741- They claim I need a new transmission. They said they checked the wiring harness, transmission fluid and fluid levels (hell, I checked those) and then claimed they thought it might be the TCC but (here is where everything gets a bit shady) then they called "GM Technical Assistance in Detroit" and after going through the "diagnostic trouble tree" it was determined that it was an internal transmission issue. According to the dealer service dept. our transmissions are "not really rebuildable".

Maybe this is wishful thinking/oversimplification, but I question this diagnosis. I have not had any noticeable issues outside of the rough idling. I have approx. 104,000 miles on the vibe and I am the only owner. The day after my emissions test my CEL shut off on it's own and has been off the past 4 days (it has shown up intermittently over the years).

Thoughts? I haven't heard of many issues with the automatic transmissions on our vibes and am wondering if this sounds possible/likely. Could it really be shot? Are there any indicators other than a non-specific CEL code that I would notice if it's on the way out? Thank you for your time/insight!
jolt

Re: Transmission issues 2006 base auto?

Post by jolt »

If I was stuck with the dealer repairing mine, I would have them do the P0171 repairs. If they have the pan off the transmission, have them change the transmission filter and oil first and see how it goes with the transmission after that. Do not have them do a flush on the transmission and make sure that they use the proper fluid for a Toyota and not the GM fluid that is stated wrong in the Vibe manual.

You can read this for fun but GM does not know Toyota's.

https://repairpal.com/check-engine-ligh ... t-mean-054

Someone that has the code fixed by changing the fluid. https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/185 ... p+solenoid

If you have problems later, take it to a transmission shop.