TCC replacement/location? P0741Code on 2004 1ZZFE

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
PattyM

TCC replacement/location? P0741Code on 2004 1ZZFE

Post by PattyM »

I am currently having my engine replaced with a rebuilt one and would love to address a CEL that has been intermittent. P0741 has been coming on, but no performance issues noted. While the engine is out I was thinking I could have my mechanic replace the solenoid since it is fairly inexpensive. I wasn’t able to determine if it is truly located on the exterior of the transmission but if it is, figured it would be the best time to do it for accessibility reasons. I searched for diagrams but didn’t find one. I haven’t been able to find a service manual online either. If anyone has done this themselves and made a video or taken pics please share. Thanks so much - this forum has been very helpful since buying my Vibe last fall. I was surprised when the engine failed as there had been no warning signs, no overheating, nothing except this one code related to the TCC. Could an ignored TCC malfunction cause my engine to lose all compression?
joatmon

Re: TCC replacement/location? P0741Code on 2004 1ZZFE

Post by joatmon »

If your vibe is not AWD, then the auto tranny is model A246E. rockauto.com says a TCC for an A246E tranny looks like
tcc.jpg
tcc.jpg (44.88 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
judging only by the look of the part, I'd say that its something inside the tranny, not directly accessible from the outside, but that's not a very authoritative answer.

Some other P0741 threads here are
viewtopic.php?t=45311
viewtopic.php?t=28167

Some in those say their P0741 was a loose connection, or fixed by a tranny fluid change

As I understand it, the TCC locks the torque converter so there is no slip between the engine and the transmission, and if it doesn't lock up, then you will get a little slip in the torque converter, which will drop your cruising MPGs a little.

It seems very unlikely that an issue with the TCC could damage the engine to the point of losing all compression. Seems more likely a blown head gasket, or oil pump failure, or even something like this was the cause:
smite.jpg
smite.jpg (59.95 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
Sorry to hear about the trouble.
This being your first post here, Welcome to genvibe!
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I found it definitely inside the tranny on a Corolla parts diagram (same tranny). So no, it doesn't need to be done with the engine work.

You should be able to feel the TC lock up as you're driving. The rpms will drop like you have a fifth gear.
PattyM

Post by PattyM »

Thanks! Will share this with the mechanic. And yes...that cartoon sums it up nicely. I had only owned the car for three months before the engine went. I was driving home from the hospital after having my gall bladder removed on an emergency basis. Nothing like being on the side of route highway 66 all bandaged up and waiting for a tow :roll: That said, I do love the little thing - even though the engine cost more than what I paid for the entire car I am looking forward to having it back on the road again.