2004 AWD Vibe engine dead : (

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
bowtieman427

2004 AWD Vibe engine dead : (

Post by bowtieman427 »

Have a 2004 AWD bas NO options but has None working ABS Vibe with 142500 miles determined needs a new engine. Had CEL with multi missfire and lean code feels like exhaust is pluged up has engine has a rattling noise car has no acceleration, low on power it will get up to speed slowly but has trouble maintaing on incline no power. Idles and revs up fine in park. Checked upper cam to lifter clearance and it was engine clearance and it was fine. Compression check 1 = 140; 2 = 140; 3 = 140; 4 = 160 OK little off so I have a leak down tester tried that our. Did initial in at 100psi 1 = 100/64; 2 = 100/85; 3 = 100/ 85 4 = 100/ 85 all leaking in crank case (pass rings). Granted the engine was semi warm had time to take rocker cover off and do compression and check cam to lifter clearances. Conclusion the rattle noise must me Cylinder one piton. May be due to bad rings or piston clearance over time worn out from oiling issues. For years engine would rattle a little on start up when cold then go away when warmed up slow death. I have been having power loss issue for sometime and would use oil. about 1 qt between changes at first and progressively got worse over time. In the past 8 months the worse went to 1qt per thousand. : ( I think is this is a victim of the poor Toyota piston oil return design.
SO DO I get newer vibe (I like this car cause I can put stuff in back very versatile) or get newer engine like 05-06 AWD engine ?
options dealer has
2004 FWD Vibe base pw pl cc 160k NO ABS miles 5 speed $1900 drove the car and runs great, not much clutch not sure if that is how these are or out of adjustment or worn out. did not slip.
2004 FWD Vibe with carafax showing 50 plus oil changes all options NO ABS auto 200k miles $2000.00 drove the car and runs great
get one of there keep mine for parts
or put in a used engine.

seen some engines on ebay about $1000 dollars not sure if they are correct or what to look for. I think the AWD engine is diffrernt then FWD not sure what the deltas are or if they are in fact the same.
Are there any JDM enigne solutions that will work I put a JDM ? Put a JDM in daughter's 03 Honda Civc and is was like BN and was cheap could not be happier came with tranny too and works real well ? What Engine to get that will swap in to 2004 AWD base VIBE NO cc, power nothing, base. What code number engines to look for ? leaning to 05-06 engine read that 05-06 have better oiling system if went with engine swap.
Please share thoughts would do swap myself, but it would take time and not sure if worth the effort. my 04 Vibe is good to fair condition noo rust but dings dents can not get hatch window to open it is well used
jolt

Re: 2004 AWD Vibe engine dead : (

Post by jolt »

Do a search on this forum. I remember reading that someone did an engine swap of a regular Vibe engine into a AWD Vibe. There were differences in the engine block. They had to design and have made an adapter to use the motor. From that, I would say the motors do not interchange without machining and welding together a custom adapter.

You may have a bad and/or plugged catalytic convertor which will cause a major power lost when you have a restrictive exhaust system. The noise could be the timing chain and guides worn out. As long as the oil pressure is good, another option is to rebuild the engine you have.

OK, I found the post. Here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41623&p=518210&hil ... ap#p518210
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

There was a time when I'd say different, but I guess I'm at the point in life where an engine fail on a 14 year old Vibe isn't worth fixing. Unless you really want AWD, I'd say go for the $2K one with all options. Not sure the bad 5 speeds were all 03s, or if the 04's are at risk too. Any used car you may run into problems, Can't really expect a warranty on a 14 year old car for $2K, but worth asking for if its an actual dealer, even if only a short 3 month, or perhaps 1K miles, just to cover anything not obvious, (or not disclosed by the dealer).

Or check craigslist and autotrader for other one s for sale in your area.
bowtieman427

Post by bowtieman427 »

Thanks for input. When the rings go in these engines do they usually kill the cylinder wall at the same time? Curious cause the car still runs and drives very low on power. 36% leak-by on cylinder 1 sounds pretty bad to me. I am tempted to rebuild but it hinges on how bad the cylinder is and compression on all cylinders are not that great. I have another engine coming but if can refresh while in car may be more attractive option. If block and lower end ok for only rebaering. NO machining if possible
jolt

Post by jolt »

36% on a leak down test is bad. Does or did the engine use oil? If the motor was burning oil, the catalytic convertor would have covered up the engine smoke for a while until the convertor slowly gets plugged and you loss power. You can try disconnecting the exhaust system from the exhaust manifold and see if the power is back on a short test drive. Your not going to know about the cylinder or piston until you pull the head off. Generally, the cylinder walls are O.K. with Toyota's that burn oil. If you are going to replace the timing chain and guides, you going to have to pull the motor.

Here is couple of videos on the oil problem with the rings and pistons. The problem was worse with 2007 and up with the 2.4L engine but can still be an issue if running extended oil change intervals and/or poor quality motor oil. The second video talks of modifying the pistons to try and correct the problems shown in the first video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgdZSXOslDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrnblJ8VZtY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A595LR4SQpI

Read the comments too. Here is one of the comments:
" Chuck M
1 year ago
toyota has had this problem since 2003 in most of there cars and trucks, they knew it was a problem reported by dealers in 2004, I know because I worked for one. Toyota kept building them without fixing the problem with the pistons. Toyota refused to do a recall so everybody could get there cars repaired, only fix them if the customer complains and have made no effort to let all owners know about problem. There repair is a half (removed) fix especially if you have 100,000 miles on your car. When you let Toyota fix your car you could also lose your right to participate in a class action lawsuit and Toyota also dont have to tell you everything they did or didnt do to fix your car or guarantee the repairs. At least there not blaming this problems on faulty floor mats.
"
GTwannabe

Post by GTwannabe »

My engine appears to have died today as well :( I was just going to post but saw your thread. 07 5MT base.

Was driving when suddenly I hear a loud whine, then feels like the engine died in gear, came to a stop very quickly despite pushing in the clucch. Car was very difficult to move afterward, like the transmission is stuck in first.

I'm probably going to be in the market for a new engine or transmission soon. Since you have the AWD model you have less options, and the job will be more difficult due to the AWD Drive shaft. I would only attempt a swap if you have a buddy to help you, and a couple of weekends to work on it. Looks like you will need to swap the ECU, which will be a hassel. You will also need to get a lift from somewhere. Wonder if you might be able to swap in the 2.4 L to get another 40 hp? Not sure if the added weight / complexity would be worth it though. Good luck!
Kendrick Lamar agrees... Keep your Vibe alive and well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF8aaTu2kg0
jolt

Post by jolt »

GTwannabe wrote:came to a stop very quickly despite pushing in the clucch. Car was very difficult to move afterward, like the transmission is stuck in first.
Your transmission/drive is bad. The 5 speeds, if you read this board, have problems. You should have heard it before it got to the point of locking up.
GTwannabe

Post by GTwannabe »

Yep that is what the shop said. Tranny prices are ridiculous. $1200? A vibe is only worth $1200. not sure what do do with the poor girl now.
Kendrick Lamar agrees... Keep your Vibe alive and well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF8aaTu2kg0
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

That's easy. Is the rest of the car working perfectly? Do you want to spend money on a new(er) car and assume possible car payments? Heck, I just spent about $2200 to have my engine removed just to have a stupid timing cover leak fixed. Was I dumb to spend that kind of money....?....perhaps, but I certainly do not want a new car at this time given that I'd probably spend $2200 on insurance in pathetic California (and have it wrecked by some moron no doubt). If I incur another repair of this cost within the next two years, then I will declare that I made the wrong decision. But for now, my car is running nearly perfectly, is only 8 years old, and should get me at least another 4 years of life.