03 vibe 4th gear pop out help

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
oogreyoo

03 vibe 4th gear pop out help

Post by oogreyoo »

I have a 03 vibe. On my way to work it popped out of 4th gear. Now I can hold it in and no problems. All other gears work great. 5 speed. Sometimes it will stay in if I'm not on the gas. Any ideas...i have heard mounts... Just looking for someone who might know exactly and I know that's impossible but maybe from my description it's obvious what the problem is. Thanks for the help. Even where I should start first ???? Pics would be so cool .
jolt

Re: 03 vibe 4th gear pop out help

Post by jolt »

Most likely a bad 4th Gear Synchronizer Ring and 4th Gear. I had an old three speed transmission that did the same exact same thing in second gear. It was in a snow plow pickup I picked up used that ran in second gear when plowing. I replaced the second gear and synchronizer ring and problem was solved. The bronze ring wears out and even more so if you are not good at matching your shift points and engine RPM's. Also if you have the wrong gear lube in the transmission. Some grades of lube do not play well with bronze. I am forgetting if it is GL4 or GL5.