Oil Change: small o-ring, what is it for?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
2009vibeSeat

Oil Change: small o-ring, what is it for?

Post by 2009vibeSeat »

Hi, I cannot for the life of me figure out what the small O-ring is for in the oil filter (cartridge style) I purchased.

The large o-ring is obvious.

Attached picture of small o-ring
2009-vibe-cartridge-oil-oring.jpg
2009-vibe-cartridge-oil-oring.jpg (461.56 KiB) Viewed 1681 times
(Also what is the plastic piece for? Throw it in the garbage?)

My guesses: the plastic piece is for some other car. The small o-ring goes somewhere inside, slides down the cylinder with holes in it in the cartridge, or goes in the engine side in a groove?
lannvouivre

Re: Oil Change: small o-ring, what is it for?

Post by lannvouivre »

The cartridge has a bolt in the bottom that you can remove without removing the housing. You pull that bolt off, then shove the top part of that plastic thing into the bolt's place, hard, and the oil is ejected from the filter housing through that spout of the bottom. The O ring goes around the bolt.

If you don't push it in straight enough and with enough force, the oil will go everywhere and your coworker will laugh at you.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
2009vibeSeat

Post by 2009vibeSeat »

My cartridge does not seem to have that bolt, are there more than one style of cartridge?

Also, why would I have a coworker - takes two, to do an oil change ;-)
(One woman, bent over, and myself.. that is)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

It's the metal part in the middle with the square drive indent.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit