Shifter cable bushing

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
DenverVibe

Shifter cable bushing

Post by DenverVibe »

Does anyone know if the bushings/grommets for the shift cable are available at any of the parts stores? I am in the middle of a 6 speed swap, and the grommets are seized to the old 5 speed. All I am seeing is some for sale on ebay and amazon and a few other online retailers, but I need to find the replacement locally today. I called the toyota dealership and they say they only sell the whole assembly with both shifter cables for north of $500.

Does anyone have a Dorman part number or know if o'reileys, pep boys, autozone, advance auto, or napa carry replacment? their websites are not showing anything.

Thanks in advance!
2005 6-speed swapped Base Vibe :D
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ 4.0
joatmon

Re: Shifter cable bushing

Post by joatmon »

Probably not going to find them in a chain store. Might need to order some online and in the meantime force the old ones free, and clean them up as best as possible.

Maybe try a junkyard, but the ones near me won't know if they have any, and it could take a fair amount of time to go and look, if you even have any nearby that would let you
DenverVibe

Post by DenverVibe »

I had a very productive lunch hour and was able to pick up suitable bearings to work and installed them!

The dimensions that work are 22mm O.D. 8mm I.D. and 7mm thick. A 608Z skate bearing worked perfectly and pressed right into the shifter cable end with just the pressure from my thumb, and also fit snugly over the small shaft on the transmission!
Attachments
Shift Bushings 608Z.jpg
Shift Bushings 608Z.jpg (127.56 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Excellent MacGyvering Image
DenverVibe

Post by DenverVibe »

I still have one good rubber OEM shifter bushing from the replacement I bought. It is like new and will ship to anyone interested, I only ask you pay shipping. Feel free to reach out here or contact me in the future at: timothycarr86@gmail.com