1zz,2zz. Differences?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Ugetmyvibe

1zz,2zz. Differences?

Post by Ugetmyvibe »

So this may seem like a silly question, but does anyone know the specific differences between the two motors? Is it just a intake manifold and a ecu tune, or is it a completely different animal all together? I used to have a rsx and the main difference between the base and type S (engine wise) was the IM and some other little bits you could buy and swap. Thanks!
ImUrOBGYN

Re: 1zz,2zz. Differences?

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Two different beasts.

There is a wealth of information out there and though this forum is full of people willing to help, I doubt you'll find the person willing to recompile and retype that amount of information. With a bit of research into your new hobby, I'm sure you'll find everything you're looking for. Plus, your memory will then be far fresher than most here. ;)

If you're interested, there may be those willing to provide you with some links or downloads to both help and inspire your investigation. Good luck.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Great question. This video has the answers you are looking for.

https://video-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42 ... e=59A3C5C1
2009 Vibe Base
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

They are completely different. As far as I know, only the oil filler cap, cam and crank sprockets, and the crankshaft reluctor wheel are interchangeable between them.

The 2ZZ-GE was designed based on the 1ZZ-FE, but that is more of a "same displacement, number of cylinders, number of valves, DOHC, and has the intake/exhaust/flywheel on the same side" meaning than "basically the same engine, just tweaked a little."
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I also have a pdf on the development of the 2ZZ many may find interesting. Let me know if anyone wants it. I've offered it up before. I may even still have it in my Drive for sharing.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage