Engine swap

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ProHitman2062

Engine swap

Post by ProHitman2062 »

What would be a good engine swap for a 2009 vibe 1.8L VVTL-1? Iv been told either a vtech or a h22a. Need some opinions..
SeattleJeremy

Re: Engine swap

Post by SeattleJeremy »

What are your goals for this car? Faster daily, road race, autocross, drag.
What transmission does the car have?
How invested in this car are you? Money and emotionally invested.
Can you do the work yourself? If you can't Where are you located? Do you have a good relationship with a shop?
What is your budget?

Is this your second car, or do you need it to get to work/school on Monday? I ask this because common engine swaps take time to work out the bugs, and any swap you do to a 2009 Vibe will not be common.

Honda associates the word "VTEC" (no H) with many of it's cars/engines. Your car is a Toyota (despite the Pontiac logo,) and Toyota has the similar technology in "VVT-i" and "VVTL-i". The H22a was great in the 90's when it was in Preludes, but now the K20/K24 swap is more common. Here is an example of a K series swap in to a similar (but older) car. http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/k-ser ... nd-toyota/

Swapping the engine is normally more work than it's worth with cheap FWD cars. In the end it will be easier to bolt on a turbo, and double the HP of the stock engine. http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... rix-09-13/ However, this is not to say it's easy.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
ProHitman2062

Post by ProHitman2062 »

It is my everyday car and my street racer right now. I won it in a pink slip race with my rx5 twin turbo. Im trying to build it up as well to use it for street races. Its a automatic 2wd. I am verry invested in this car right now and want around 5 grand+ to be put into it. I can do some stuff by myself and others i need a shop.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

ProHitman2062 wrote:I won it in a pink slip race with my rx5 twin turbo.
Didn't realize this was still a thing real people do.
ProHitman2062 wrote:Its a automatic 2wd
The automatic will be the limiting factor here. I can't imagine Toyota tested this transmission with anymore than about 200 ft/lbs. So if you're looking to do a swap, or put turbo power in to it, you'll want to do the 5 or 6 speed conversion while you're at it. Thankfully, Toyota does make this car with a 5-speed, so you should be able to source some of the parts you need (peddle box, shift lever) from a wrecked one. Toyota used the C59 (5-speed) in the first gen Vibe and the second gen Vibe. The C60 (6-speed) is really similar, but you'll need to do some research to find out the differences. There are a few threads around talking about the swap.

If you are serious about a swap, I recommend finding a wrecked Vibe GT or Matrix XRS, and swapping the 2ZZ and 6-speed. It's the most straightforward swap, and I bet you could do it for around $5000.

Edit: Check http://www.car-part.com/ to search for an Engine for a 2003-2005 Vibe Vin L engine (GT/2ZZ motor) in your area.
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Just put an LS in it. Easy.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

jayoldschool wrote:Just put an LS in it. Easy.
Yea, get the engine tray from a LS4 W-platform, and bolt it up.
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

:shock: :? :) :D :lol:
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Ugetmyvibe

Post by Ugetmyvibe »

I agree, a k series is what is use . But i wouldn't. You won't win many (if any) races in these, especially a auto. Mine handles turns and curves much better and surprisingly flat. My advice is either use it as your daily since you already have race cars. Or sell it and get something a little better like a RSX or GTI (if you still want to live the hatch life). Out of curiosity, what city are you near?
ProHitman2062

Post by ProHitman2062 »

Nashville TN
Ugetmyvibe

Post by Ugetmyvibe »

No way, same here. Ever go to cars and coffee in brentwood?
ProHitman2062

Post by ProHitman2062 »

Nah but i would love to