2ZZ-GE REPAIR MANUAL

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
302LVR

2ZZ-GE REPAIR MANUAL

Post by 302LVR »

Hello to all. Just found out i blew the head gasket on my 03' VGT and will be doing the labor myself. Can anyone provide a link or PDF if available for the tear down/assembly process since this is my first time taking apart a 2zz head. Mostly i want tech info such as torque specs and tightening or loosening sequences, special tools, etc. I'm a pretty good DIYer and have done Honda head gaskets before but this car is pretty new to me. Thanks for the help in advance.
joatmon

Re: 2ZZ-GE REPAIR MANUAL

Post by joatmon »

I haven't seen the Chiltons or Haynes service manuals so can't say how adequate they are. The official GM service manual seems to only be in print from Helms, and is very pricey, but excellent. There is a PDF version of the Toyota matrix service manual which would well cover a 2ZZ rebuild. not hosted here, but there is a link to a source in viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45486&p=514861 I haven't downloaded that specific link. Probably good, but these days any download involves some risk
302LVR

Post by 302LVR »

Thanks for the link but seems i have to download and activate something but not sure if its safe or not. Hopefully someone can chime in and say if this link/download is trustworthy. My next option would be a Chilton or Haynes manual but i'm not sure if they cover all the important info such as torque specs, removal/install sequences, and other important specs i need for the removal/installation of my cylinder head so i can change the head gasket and make sure everything is done right especially the engine timing. I also found this link: http://madstyle1972.com/Repair/ but i've skimmed through it and some technical info, such as tightening/loosening sequences aren't specified in there. So far this is the best info i have so please if you guys have anything else i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I think the link I referred to is a downloadable copy of what madstyle has online, so perhaps not worth downloading
http://madstyle1972.com/Repair/14/201joc05/x040001.pdf seems to be a decent head gasket replacement procedure, with cam and head bolt loosening and tightening sequences and torque specs (see steps 48,49,53 and 54)

Looks like quite the job, good luck with it
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

pm'd
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
302LVR

Post by 302LVR »

joatmon wrote:I think the link I referred to is a downloadable copy of what madstyle has online, so perhaps not worth downloading
http://madstyle1972.com/Repair/14/201joc05/x040001.pdf seems to be a decent head gasket replacement procedure, with cam and head bolt loosening and tightening sequences and torque specs (see steps 48,49,53 and 54)

Looks like quite the job, good luck with it
Thanks! It is indeed quite an involved job. This is the same info i was looking at to do the job but i noticed its missing some important info such as torque specs and loosening/tightening sequences for the cylinder head which are very important factors when doing this job. Looks like i need to do some more research.
302LVR

Post by 302LVR »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:pm'd
Got it thanks! Seems a lot more detailed. I just have to dedicate some time to organizing all the info i need from there but thanks once more.
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

np
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage