Transmissions Noise with Shifting

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Gil

Transmissions Noise with Shifting

Post by Gil »

Hi there,

I just noticed recently that my 2wd 2006 Vibe is making a noise when shifting from Reverse to Drive. On level ground, in normal temperatures, and with the car completely stopped, when I shift from R to D it is making a metallic "clank/tink" when it shifts into Drive. It also makes a slightly less audible noise when going from P to Drive. There are no grinding noises and the transmission seems to be performing normally. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance,
ehoff121

Re: Transmissions Noise with Shifting

Post by ehoff121 »

On level ground with cold engine, pull the transmission dipstick and check the level, appearance, and odor of the fluid.

It should be within the cold fill range, look red or reddish brown (older fluid) with no metallic "sparkles", and not smell burnt.

Has the fluid been changed/pan & screen cleaned in the last 90,000 miles? Some on the forum change it every 30,000...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Also check for worn out or broken motor mounts. It helps to have someone help observe the engine while shifting from park to reverse and drive and back to see for excessive play and rocking. Can visually inspect too and also use pry bar to wiggle them if uncertain or grab engine and try to rock back and forth a little. Not sure if you have enough sight to see from drivers seat and looking between cowl and open hood while shifting, but many cars you can.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
Gil

Post by Gil »

It has 122,000 miles on it and Tran. fluid has never been changed as far as I know. I've changed it on other cars and have never had a good result afterwards... I don't see much in the manual about this; is this really recommended?

Thanks,
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Gil wrote:It has 122,000 miles on it and Tran. fluid has never been changed as far as I know. I've changed it on other cars and have never had a good result afterwards... I don't see much in the manual about this; is this really recommended?
I've read that some problems can occur after power flush or fluid exchange, but a drain and fill only replaces 1/3rd of the fluid at a time.

Use the Toyota T-IV fluid and you shouldn't have a problem.

If you drop the pan, be sure to use a 1/4" torque wrench to re-install the pan bolts.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum