deleted

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
indeebidably

deleted

Post by indeebidably »

deleted
Last edited by indeebidably on Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jolt

Re: I've got ticks! (What's that engine ticking noise?)

Post by jolt »

Back of the engine, one guess is a small exhaust leak which may be between, the head and the exhaust manifold, cracked exhaust manifold, or where the pipe goes on the exhaust manifold. Another guess is spark jumping from a coil pack but you should be getting a "Check Engine" light with that. Then another guess is the valve clearance is to much, when was the last time you checked the clearance?

Does the ticking change when the engine is cold or hot? What about if the engine is under load, does the ticking change for how load it is?
Derf

Re: I've got ticks! (What's that engine ticking noise?)

Post by Derf »

Its hard to distinguish the sound. The sound is loudest over driver rear side of the engine, the PCV valve is located under the engine cover on the drivers side. It can make a fast clicking sound heard in the video, but that would be the loudest PCV valve I have ever heard. Sounds more like electrical arcing. Pulling off the plastic engine cover will give give you better idea what is going on.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )