Efficency issue vibe 2006

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
gman1981

Efficency issue vibe 2006

Post by gman1981 »

Since couples of weeks, im getting real poor efficiency per refill. I'm only getting 350km per tank wich is pretty bad consideringi would normally get 550km per refill in highway conditon. Does any one have a clue on what should be verified in order to correct this issue. So lately, I changed the spark plugs but it seems like the overall Km is pretty much the same after a week of driving it back and forth...
vibrologist

Re: Efficency issue vibe 2006

Post by vibrologist »

If the engine idles nicely and you don't have a CEL on then you may want to check the brakes. They may be dragging.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Not sure what you mileage is but I got some improved mpg-s after installing my new Denso ignition coils and don't forget to put in a new air filter
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Assuming you fill up about 10 gal (US) you are only getting 21.7 mpg and you used to get 34 mpg. That's a huge drop. And it also seems to be sudden.

Did you change the way you use the car? Are you doing more short distances and cold starts? Are you encountering more and extended periods of idling? Are you accelerating harder than usual?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

gman1981

Post by gman1981 »

Goodnite mates,
Well let say my actual driving is pretty much the same every day. Im using it as a daily commuter from where I live to where im working at kost of the time.... highway 100 to 120km/hr.... recently i tried dumping a injector and valve cleaning kit in a fuel tank of the supreme blend without much results.but comparable and very average mpg.... im therefore thinking a clog maf sensor, throttle body valve.failure or goingnto have to figure out myself how to perform a compresion cylinder test..... if any of you know the trick about the last keep me updated.... goodnite
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I like EricTheCarGuy's videos for basic procedures:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=er ... &FORM=VIRE
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

Check for brake drag (hot wheel).
Change thermostat.
Check tire pressure and wheel alignment.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
jolt

Post by jolt »

What year is your Vibe? Which engine does it have? What transmission does it have? Is it an AWD or two wheel drive? Does the engine come up to full temperature? Does the transmission go into overdrive? Does the torque convertor lock up if you have an automatic transmission? Does the car roll freely on flat ground? Do you the "check engine" light on? Are there any codes stored in the ECM?
gman1981

Post by gman1981 »

Hello everyone,
Since a long time that red vibe beater is providing some realy bad mileage per tank. My car is a 2006vibe standard and it does actually 300km/per tank runned on syntjetic oil... might bw thebrake dragging will upgrade front and rear brake n3xt couple of week does anyone out there have any suggestion on what should be checked or changed? I you have any clue let me know.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Watch some videos, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGNd78jJ-f4

It is very important to clean the sliders and lubricate them properly.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Also, make sure the brake pads themselves are clean. I've gotten some where the castings had a ragged edge that I took to a grinder.