Ehoff121's '05 AWD Exhaust Replacement

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ehoff121

Ehoff121's '05 AWD Exhaust Replacement

Post by ehoff121 »

By request, here's a thread for my fellow 1st gen AWD'ers with the need to replace their exhaust pipe. There's more than one way to skin this cat ( :D), so this is to document what I'm having done and the parts used.

My exhaust has two leaks: one right before the cat and another at the joint with the muffler (rusted through :shock: ). Being that it's winter here in the Northeast and I have an emissions inspection due by the end of March, I decided to source as many parts myself as I could to save a bit of cash and have a reliable local shop install them for me.

I found a few replacements for the 2nd cat and resonator online (you know AWD's have two cats, right? 1st cat is inside the exhaust manifold :() This is Item #12 on the diagram. RockAuto.com has Bosal, Davico, and Eastern Catalytic replacements.

I chose the Eastern Catalytic direct fit replacement https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 2959&jsn=2 part# 40832. It comes in two pieces and goes from the spring bolts #'s 17, 18on the front pipe (#22) to the muffler (#8) and includes a cat with "twice the amount of Rhodium" and a resonator. List price US$ 246.79 + shipping. It includes the inlet gasket #19 and a clamp for the joint between the two pieces. Not the cheapest option, but at least I don't live in a CARB state (CA, NY) 'cause then it would cost more.

Purchased the rear gasket (#11 GM Part: 88969138, Toyota Part: 17451-0D070), muffler pipe clamp (#9 GM Part:88969142, Toyota Part: not interchangeable NOTE: does not come with bolt M8X1.25X40, GM Part: 94858496), front rubber supports - 2 required (#16 GM Part: 88969144, Toyota Part: 17565-0D040), and rear rubber supports - 2 required(#7, GM Part: 88969145, Toyota Part: 17565-0D540). I bought these from a Toyota dealer.

My mechanic ordered the muffler through Auto Parts International. The GM part # is 88969131.

The spring bolts (bolt: M10X1.25X63, spring 24MM OD, 40MM) are GM Part#'s 88973012 (bolts) and 88972909 (springs). The bolts are a few bucks, but the springs list for $20 each :shock:

After further research, seems it's a good idea to replace the front and rear O2 sensors when you replace the cat- it extends the life of the replacement and maintains fuel efficiency. Bought the Denso sensors from RockAuto.com. Front sensor (on top of exhaust manifold; not shown) GM Part: 88971386, Rear sensor #15 GM Part: 88971387

EDIT: Found better diagram and the GM part numbers for supports and spring bolts. Added O2 sensor info.
Last edited by ehoff121 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
RadioFreeVibe

Re: Ehoff121's '05 AWD Exhaust Replacement

Post by RadioFreeVibe »

x2 :)
Last edited by RadioFreeVibe on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
2005 AWD Vibe "Clementine" 117,000 km
oem crossbars * f/t power point * fog lights mod
RadioFreeVibe

Post by RadioFreeVibe »

Hi Ehoff:

I will be following your install closely, as I am going to replace the cat pipe on my 05 AWD by May due to a leak beside oxygen sensor. I stopped by the Toyota dealer and was quoted CDN $1400 for the Toyota cat pipe part (I had to ask, haha), so I will go Eastern Catalytic from Rock Auto as well.

I got some Toyota part numbers for spring and bolt (90501-35035 and 90109-A0013) and for the fore and aft gaskets (17451-0D070 and 90917-06082).

These part numbers are used on several Toyota vehicles and here is a thread from a Scion site showing the aft gasket install:

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/mainten ... ning-4578/

Fingers crossed for this repair.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

RadioFreeVibe wrote:I got some Toyota part numbers for spring and bolt (90501-35035 and 90109-A0013) and for the fore and aft gaskets (17451-0D070 and 90917-06082).
Thanks, RFV. It looks like these are for the outlet connection on those vehicles whereas we need the inlet bolts. Can you verify the length of the springs somehow? They're 40mm long.
RadioFreeVibe

Post by RadioFreeVibe »

Okay, let's put the Toyota part #s I provided aside for now. I gave the Toyota parts clerk a VIN from an 06 4WD Matrix so she could bring up the diagram and part #s, but this exhaust may be different than the 05 AWD Vibe (?).

I'll follow along :D
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Joatmon did a great step-by-step that is mostly identical for the AWD:

viewtopic.php?t=17587

Main difference is that we have a clamp on the muffler side instead of another set of bolts.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Install completed yesterday.

Notes from the mechanic:

1) The Toyota muffler clamp (part #9 on diagram) was too large (removed part number from top post), but aftermarket clamp worked.

2) Added hi-temp silicone to the joint of the two cat pipe pieces prior to securing included kit clamp.

3) Spring bolts were in bad shape, so aftermarket kit was used.

4) Muffler had a tailpipe extension with wider diameter pipe that made the GM accessory unusable.

5) Installing the upstream O2 sensor was "a (removed)"- it required removing the passenger carpet.

6) Reused the rubber supports as they were in serviceable shape.

Notes from Ehoff121:

The ride is noticeably quieter. So much so that I think I have a bad wheel bearing that I couldn't hear over the exhaust noise and also will need to fix the rear differential whine.
RadioFreeVibe

Post by RadioFreeVibe »

Wow, that was quick, you don't mess around. Thanks for the detailed notes. I will start buying parts in March to do the same.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Filed under learn something new every day: My car has California emissions and installing the Federal converter was probably not the ideal way to go... :oops:

Getting a P0420 code consistently, but trying to diagnose. The rear O2 sensor is reading very low and not moving much while on the reader- it reads between .015 and .031. The front O2 sensor seems to operate normally, reading between .100 and .800 as the engine runs at 2k rpm.

Not sure if the cat is bad or just the sensor...
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

Is this the official '05 AWD Exhaust thread??

Replacing exhaust on '05 AWD with 235K
looks like there are 2 available for AWD (the OEM complete exhaust was $1900. so, no.)
DAVICO CARB Compliant 175040
or the Eastern Catalytic ECO III 40832
they are within $2 of each other. this is for rural PA not much emissions testing.

isn't there a borla mufffler that fits? i swear i saw one. but it been days ago.

questions? advice?

i do have an appt at Monroe and i may revisit welding existing but it broke in 3 places! one is the donut gasket. the other way at the end after the cat, and the muffler it not connected to anything...
Last edited by Melissa18L on Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow!
Melissa 1.8L - 2005 Fusion Orange Metallic Moon and Tunes Gen1 AWD 1.8L "TANGERINE"
jnewell

Post by jnewell »

2005 AWD here as well. As a larger question, does the group have a consensus on part numbers from the manifold back for a non-CA 2005 AWD? I have been making repairs here and there but I'm ready to replace everything. Reading this and other threads I'm not confident that I'm going to order the correct parts for this vehicle and would love to have a correct parts list.
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

right? same here. thanks for at least posting something. waiting on part numbers or advice from the higher ups!

also does anyone know if an '03 awd rear driveshaft will fit an '05 awd??
Melissa 1.8L - 2005 Fusion Orange Metallic Moon and Tunes Gen1 AWD 1.8L "TANGERINE"
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Hi everyone,
OEM exhaust systems, and pre built muffler systems are really expensive to buy and ship.*
Most muffler shops can make exhaust pipes for our cars in house, replace the muffler with with standard mufflers, replace catalytic converter's with off the shelf cats, and install O2 sensors. Call the muffler shops in town, explain the issue you are having, and get a quote over the phone. Talk to the national brands, and private shops.

Melissa18L, Yes the 03-05 AWD rear CV shafts are all the same (same part number on all years, and both sides). edit: The drive shaft between the Transmission and the rear differential should also be the same.

*the exhaust manifold is the only exhaust part I would buy from Toyota/GM.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

the 2 i found from the manifold back (not including the manifold) are $313 with free shipping. way better than the $645 oem. and it's returnable! so it sounds like the muffler shouldn't be too hard to fit? the one i had found and need to re-find was only $79.

thanks for the driveshaft info. i was thinking they would be the same. local salvage has a driveshaft listed for $80. wonder what the exhaust looks like on that one?? i just imagine its been sitting in a field in pa for years.
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

jnewell wrote:2005 AWD here as well. As a larger question, does the group have a consensus on part numbers from the manifold back for a non-CA 2005 AWD? I have been making repairs here and there but I'm ready to replace everything. Reading this and other threads I'm not confident that I'm going to order the correct parts for this vehicle and would love to have a correct parts list.
did you see the 2 i listed?
they are both from genvibe posts about the '05 exhaust. there are a couple threads.

DAVICO CARB Compliant 175040
or the Eastern Catalytic ECO III 40832

i don't know the difference? was thinking the CARB one was for CA compliance?
the price was only different by $2. they were $269 and $271 thru rockauto i think.
also found those on ebay for $25 with free shipping and I can use paypal credit and they are returnable.

i compared the pics to the diagram of the AWD and they have the same bends, etc.

good luck with yours!! mine is out of inspection now and i got a visit from a state trooper at work. he noticed it was out and wanted to let me know...
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

The one day I don't check the forums and one of my threads is on fire... :lol: '

Here's an update (apologies for not posting one sooner): after replacing the valve cover gasket and spark plugs followed by a tank with Techron concentrate and the idle relearn procedure (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S9B3IhK_Tc), the P0420 code hasn't been back in a while.

Recommendations for anyone needing to replace rusted out exhaust pipes:
1. Check the emissions sticker under the hood- these cars were built in California, so they are likely to be CARB instead of Federal even if your state is Federal
2. AWD exhausts are different from FWD and GT. Aftermarket AWD replacements are available that are manifold back, including the cat- they are bolt on, but there are varying levels of quality
3. Replace both O2 sensors when replacing the cat- the upstream is easy, the downstream is harder (have to take apart some interior to get to the wiring)
4. P0420 codes and poor fuel economy after changing the cat and O2 sensors could mean you are running rich
5. You can use any muffler
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Melissa18L wrote:i do have an appt at Monroe and i may revisit welding existing but it broke in 3 places! one is the donut gasket. the other way at the end after the cat, and the muffler it not connected to anything...
I'd avoid Monroe...They're not the most ideal business to deal with.

With that said, the Borla is only an axle back (aka muffler at the very back) and is not compatible with the AWD.

As Ehoff said, you will need an AWD specific one, FWD is NOT interchangeable. If it does not mention AWD, I'd be leery of it working.

Though built in Cali, I would be very suspect of the ECU being able to tell that it should have been CARB compliant and not Federal...Being in PA (if no emissions) I wouldn't worry too much about CARB compliance.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

ehoff121 wrote:The one day I don't check the forums and one of my threads is on fire... :lol: '

Here's an update (apologies for not posting one sooner): after replacing the valve cover gasket and spark plugs followed by a tank with Techron concentrate and the idle relearn procedure (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S9B3IhK_Tc), the P0420 code hasn't been back in a while.

Recommendations for anyone needing to replace rusted out exhaust pipes:
1. Check the emissions sticker under the hood- these cars were built in California, so they are likely to be CARB instead of Federal even if your state is Federal
2. AWD exhausts are different from FWD and GT. Aftermarket AWD replacements are available that are manifold back, including the cat- they are bolt on, but there are varying levels of quality
3. Replace both O2 sensors when replacing the cat- the upstream is easy, the downstream is harder (have to take apart some interior to get to the wiring)
4. P0420 codes and poor fuel economy after changing the cat and O2 sensors could mean you are running rich
5. You can use any muffler
thanks emhoff...for still being around and answering questions on an 11 year old thread!! replacing o2 sensors...good call. i didn't even think of actually replacing them. i did replace one. once. and thanks for clarifying there are bolt ons for this. i didn't get the best info earlier and thought my only option was the oem. after reading the entire emissions sticker...i still have no idea. its a lot of info. nothing says CA or federal. what am i looking for??? much thanks!
EDITING TO SAY: sticker says CATALYST real big. that looks more like the link on the eastern cat page, but they are showing a chrysler one. https://www.rockauto.com/genImages/catConv/DetCat.html
so even if its CA, do i need the CARB one? or does it not matter? see also: cheaper muffler options? the one you mechanic ordered is like $400. sorry. i know i'm asking TONS of questions. but my car is out of inspection and at least one trooper noticed and said something to me. so i need to get stuff ordered and put on like 3 days ago!
Last edited by Melissa18L on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

zbyers wrote:
Melissa18L wrote:i do have an appt at Monroe and i may revisit welding existing but it broke in 3 places! one is the donut gasket. the other way at the end after the cat, and the muffler it not connected to anything...
I'd avoid Monroe...They're not the most ideal business to deal with.

With that said, the Borla is only an axle back (aka muffler at the very back) and is not compatible with the AWD.

As Ehoff said, you will need an AWD specific one, FWD is NOT interchangeable. If it does not mention AWD, I'd be leery of it working.

Though built in Cali, I would be very suspect of the ECU being able to tell that it should have been CARB compliant and not Federal...Being in PA (if no emissions) I wouldn't worry too much about CARB compliance.
thanks. i needed a reason to cancel with Monroe. they were just the only muffler specific place i could find and they are 35 miles away.
i am only looking at the AWD ones. EDITING CAUSE: BOSAL NOT BORLA. SORRY! i am just looking for a cheaper muffler to say go on the eatern cat. the one emhoff ordered was a gm part and $400! https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 9&jsn=1317 this was the bosal muffler, but it looks like they have a cat back too for the awd? only $195 though?
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

The best way to tell if you have California emissions for parts purposes (not the other states' emissions test requirements) is: if your sticker says it "CONFORMS... TO CALIFORNIA REGULATIONS APPLICABLE TO 20XX MODEL YEAR NEW LEV-I LEV PASSENGER CARS", it's California emissions. If it only says EPA compliant, it's Federal emissions. Here's a Toyota example of California emissions:

Change the logo and manufacturer to New United Motor Manufacturing, then change the year to 2005, and my AWD sticker says pretty much the same thing...

I wouldn't mix California and Federal emissions parts. If your Vibe came from the factory with California emissions, use CARB parts even if you live in a Federal emissions state.

When I did my exhaust system (Eastern Catalytic, manifold back), I think the muffler my mechanic used was Bosal.
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

yes, it definitely says california. i'm a ditz. thanks for your help!!
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

I did finally have my exhaust replaced and its inspected.

I got this
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 59&jsn=412
this is the California compliant one, but its not able to be shipped to CA.

and this muffler which is now listed as out of stock at least on rockauto...
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 36&jsn=440

i forgot o2 sensors...because i always forget something. my mechanic got them from napa since they deliver (in a gen 2 vibe!)

the clamp that napa had listed as 250252 from the intermediate to the bosal muffler was wrong, so that got welded.

thanks for the help!
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

That's great! Glad to help :D
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

So... getting P0420 code again. :x

I've purchased a Magnaflow universal cat #4481334. It's their new integrated shield design. https://www.magnaflow.com/products/4481 ... -converter My plan is to take to a shop and have it welded in.

I'm having second thoughts about doing that without first addressing any possible root causes, specifically clogged/worn out fuel injectors- my understanding is they can cause a cat to fail early and since I've had the replacement cat less than a couple of years, I'm thinking there's something to it. Low idle is on the rougher side (yes, there are other possible causes for this). No other codes.

Because AWD's are more complicated, the fuel injector is of course different than the Base FWD and GT. I'm getting AC Delco part number 94859505 @ $130 each. The Denso part for an AWD Matrix is 297-0003 @ $75 each. RockAuto offers re-manufactured units for $35 each (includes a $12 core charge) https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 31&jsn=731

If there was a place nearby that did ultrasonic cleaning/refurb of the injectors nearby, I'd do that.

Should I go ahead and replace the injectors with the new Denso parts? Go re-man?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

the threshold for the o2 sensors throwing the P0420 code is minimal. if it detects that the efficiency is slightly out of tolerance, i'd throw the code. have you considered doing an o2 sensor spacer/defouler on the rear o2 to eliminate this? your cat is most likely fine otherwise.

ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

The current replacement cat on there is not a CARB compliant cat (my bad for ordering the wrong parts because I don't live in a CARB state, but my Vibe is CARB emissions :roll: ), so that could explain why it's hitting the threshold so often...
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

That shouldn't make a difference.

Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

Melissa18L wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:00 am I did finally have my exhaust replaced and its inspected.

I got this
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 59&jsn=412
this is the California compliant one, but its not able to be shipped to CA.

and this muffler which is now listed as out of stock at least on rockauto...
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 36&jsn=440

i forgot o2 sensors...because i always forget something. my mechanic got them from napa since they deliver (in a gen 2 vibe!)

the clamp that napa had listed as 250252 from the intermediate to the bosal muffler was wrong, so that got welded.

thanks for the help!
so the weld didn't last from intermediate to the bosal muffler. do you know the actual clamp that is needed? or do you still have a diagram of the entire AWD exhaust? i can't for the life of me find one for AWD!
this maybe?? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 9&jsn=1838