2zz Replace AIC or ECU? And exhaust getting into cabin.

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
JanetsVibe

2zz Replace AIC or ECU? And exhaust getting into cabin.

Post by JanetsVibe »

I have a 2006 GT with 209K miles. The throttle body has a cable running to it. I am looking to buy another vibe, and have found one, but there have been many delays, and now the issues that I have with my vibe are urgent - especially the exhaust in the cabin.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge here. :) - Janet

I've posted before, and old problems have pointed to either a faulty IAC or ECU. New information came a couple days ago when my check engine light went on. Plus now my car is trying to poison me with CO.

Current Symptoms:
1. Check engine light on (P0505 and C1241)
2. Idle at 2K for the first 15 minutes of driving.
3. Heat not working well for the floor heat (an old problem, but maybe it relates to the next symptom.)
4. Exhaust getting into cabin from when I turn on the heat. This is my most major issue, even though the old debate of IAC or ECM seems to have just gotten some new clues. And I love to solve a good mystery.

I'll put my codes and what I did for them in chronological order:

3 -4 Years ago P2445 code triggered
Symptoms: After a clutch repair, the car would stall when taking my foot off the gas.
Work: I didn't replace anything
Results: Code went away, but stalling continued intermittently for the next few years, only in cold months when I was slowing or coming to a stop.
- Air pump fuse
- Vacuum hose
- Air pump assembly
- Faulty Pressure Sensor
- Air pump harness is open or shorted
- Air pump circuit poor electrical connection
- Pressure Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Pressure Sensor circuit poor electrical connection

A couple months ago: P0122 code triggered
Symptoms: car didn't start once after sitting in the cold for a day without pressing on the gas while turning key. And very high idle (up to 3k).
Work: I replaced the TPS, cleaned the throttle body, and replaced battery terminals and cleaned battery ground to frame.
Result: Idle is still high (2K) for the first 15 minutes of driving but not as high as 3K anymore.
- TPS not mounted securely
- TPS circuit short to ground or another wire
- Faulty TPS
- Damaged computer (PCM)

Most recent: P0505 code (triggered 4 times in 24 hours)
- Open or short in ISC valve circuit S PCV hose
- ISC valve is stick or closed*2
- A/C switch circuit
- Air induction system*2 S ECM

Most recent: C1241 (triggered once in 24 hours)- which auto zone said was the code for the ECU, but online says:
- Low Battery Charge
- Faulty Battery
- Faulty Charging System
- Power source circuit
Once I fix my garage door opener, I'll get my car in the garage and double check the battery connections. But since I just worked on them, I am pretty confident that they are okay... I hope...

Questions:
1. the code C1241 - is that for the ECU/ECM (they are the same thing right? close to the same as a PCM - the main computer for the car) or did auto zone's scanner tell me the wrong thing?

2. What does it mean that the P0505 code got thrown 4 times, and the C1241 only got thrown once. If the C1241 code is for the ECM, then that controls the IAC, so should I go after the ECM first? Or because the IAC code got thrown more times, go for that???

3. Is the exhaust that is getting into my car related to any of this, or is it a completely separate matter? This is the most concerning to me, because I would like to not pass out and die while driving to work. How would you go about solving it? I assume there has to be a leak somewhere - I can check the exhaust manifold to the catalytic converter to the muffler. My car recently passed emissions, but I have never replaced the muffler or catalytic converter on it. I can check for damage there, but should I also try to fix the floor heat? I assume that that would be a vacuum leak somewhere...
vibrologist

Re: 2zz Replace AIC or ECU? And exhaust getting into cabin.

Post by vibrologist »

I completely understand that you don't want to pass out and die, Janet. If exhaust gases get into your cabin you have an exhaust leak under the hood and you have to get that fixed. No way around that.

Janet I did not read all of your post. you mentioned you have the P0505 and the C1241. I found a thread in ToyotaNation that deals with this occurrence. C1241, low battery positive voltage: you may need a new battery. At least make sure the poles and connectors are clean of corrosion and all ground connections and grounding strips are there and free of corrosion.

I'll give you the link of the thread: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/75-xa ... lease.html

Please, don't pass out and....
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Now that I had a bit more time to read your post:
Are you sure what you notice with the heat on is exhaust fumes? The smell from leaking engine coolant is pretty nauseating too. If you only get the smell with the heat on it may actually caused by a small leak of coolant at the heater core. Also , if you have an exhaust leak you should hear noise. It may be a good idea to check the cooling system for leaks.

ECM-ECU-PCM: all of these refer to "the computer". With manual transmission it's usually called ECM or ECU and in cars with automatic it is call PCM (Power Control Module) because it also controls shift points.

One thing you can do is disconnect , inspect, clean with electronics cleaner the various harness connectors under the hood, in particular the one tot he
ECU.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

JanetsVibe

Post by JanetsVibe »

My roommate is on vacation and let me borrow his car for the week, so I am not driving my death mobile anymore.

I don't hear a noise, by my car is a little noisy these days anyway. Good suggestion to check for a coolant leak. I was just cleaning out the throttle body, so I might have pulled a hose out, or nicked it.

I have a CO detector from my house. I thought I would take my car out with it and see what it said. (And listen for noises) The other night driving home, I was definitely getting closed-eyed sleepy, but that may have been because I was tired.

The last time a car tried to kill me that way was when I had a Mazda MX-6. Catalytic converter was beat up. Driving at night until the other car lights started swimming around, I had to hang out in an all night gas station until my brain cleared out, then drove 2 more hours home in the icy air with all windows down. What doesn't kill you gives you brain damage? lol. I wasn't hallucinating this time, but definitely didn't feel right. I think a CO detector would be the best way to go about it.

I'm not sure where the ECM leads to under the hood. Could you give me a general direction? What product do you use to clean electrical connections?

Thanks!
Janet
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

The CO alarm is a great idea, just be aware you could get a false alarm in traffic or when there is a gas powered tool running somewhere in earshot.

Also: do google searches for detecting exhaust leaks etc.

I like CRC spray cans for their intended purposes. I also use CRC MAF sensor cleaner for various jobs because it evaporates completely and does not attack plastics. On corrosion you could try a tooth brush and get more serious with a small wire brush if needed. Chop sticks and tooth picks are useful too.

Here is a under hood diagram of a Toyota Matrix (same as Vibe) The ECU is actually under the dash , driver side. Leave that alone for now, just check and clean things under the hood.
62217_sensors_2 (Matrix).jpg
62217_sensors_2 (Matrix).jpg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

JanetsVibe

Post by JanetsVibe »

That is a fantastic diagram! I'm familiar with the things attached to the throttle body and the mass airflow meter. I think I already have a can of that stuff in the garage, I'll have to check.

CO detector didn't go off at all today. I did find rat poop under the hood. Maybe I was smelling rat pee getting fried? And I drove it 180 miles today with no other bad smells.

Other vibe I looked at blew, so I am going to fix mine up.

I'll clean the electrical connections, but I think I should clean out or replace the IAC valve as my next major step. That and buy new rear tires.

And my red vibe just got christened "phoenix" :)
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

That's good news. You will survive after all.
What you found is more likely squirrel or mouse poop. It stinks either way.

All the best, keep us posted.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

JanetsVibe wrote:That is a fantastic diagram!
Yeah. The support on this forum is priceless :D

JanetsVibe wrote:Other vibe I looked at blew, so I am going to fix mine up.
That's the sound of (or quote of) music to my ears! I love hearing members willing to fix their Vibes up and keep them rolling down the road for several more years. That's one of the reasons I bought the 2003 Vibe GT project car for me to resurrect this summer ;) !
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Did you replace the cabin air filter? It's behind the glove box. Use a Philips screw driver to unhook the damper of the glove box. I changed mine a few days ago after realizing it was in there since 2 1/2 years. Maybe you find some more "interesting stuff" right there.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe