Car won't start. Help!

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
BTR2003XRS

Car won't start. Help!

Post by BTR2003XRS »

2003 Matrix XRS. I changed the belt tensioner this week. It was down for a couple of days because I was sent a 1zz tensioner first. I put the new part in and the car would not start. I was able to jump it off. I drove it for about an hour and there were no problems. The next day (yesterday) it would not start. I jumped it off again. I bought a new battery and installed it in walmart's parking lot. It started without any problems. After another stop, it would not start. It would not jump off this time. I changed the alternator and it didn't make a difference. I was able to push it down a hill, pop the clutch, and get it started, but after getting it home, it will not start anymore. The car has power, but nothing happens when I turn the key.

Does a 2zz take a different batter than a 1zz?

I'm lost and really need to get it running before tomorrow.
vibrologist

Re: Car won't start. Help!

Post by vibrologist »

Too many things to check.
You realize throwing parts at it is not a good idea money wise.

I would begin with the cable connections on the battery and ground connections everywhere. Poles and connectors need to be very clean. Sometimes corrosion can migrate into the cables under the insulation.
Look at the starter there is an exposed copper strap between the magnet switch and the starter motor. It can corrode away.
If wiggling the key makes it go your ignition switch is failing.
I wouldn't expect much of a difference in battery specs. Not enough to keep it from starting anyway. But check the voltage with a volt meter. If it is too low there is something wrong with the charging system even if you have all new parts.
Does the drive belt have proper tension?

This might help too: http://www.aa1car.com/library/car_wont_start.htm
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
BTR2003XRS

Post by BTR2003XRS »

Thanks. I took the starter out and got it tested. It was bad. I put the new one in and it cranked right up
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Cool! I am glad you are on the road again!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476