Transmission fluid for automatic 03-08

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
bigdoug

Transmission fluid for automatic 03-08

Post by bigdoug »

I'm going to try to change my transmission fluid in the next week or so, it needs it quite a bit. I've talked to about 5 different transmission shops so far. All of them have said the same thing: Don't get a trans flush. The reason seemed to be the same over and over. Basically, since you're adding brand new fluid, with brand new detergents, all that new soap would scrub off any varnish or gunk in the system and it would clog the filter pretty fast. I guess that's why it's not a bad idea to change the filter right before or right after, then. One also said the pressure of the flush could damage seals.

In any case, they all recommended just regular fluid changes to keep enough good fluid in the system, which sounds like good advice. I've been recommended to use synth blend, even though I wanted to use full synth. It looks like, from a quick google search, that Toyota T-IV is synthetic.
sideshowalan

Re: Transmission fluid for automatic 03-08

Post by sideshowalan »

Drain and fill is all you need. If what's in there right now is old or dirty, do it 3 or 4x over a month to get most of the old stuff out.

Some vibes call for Dex3, other call for T-IV, check your manual.

I've always just used the Valvoline Maxlife as it's rated for both, no problems with any of my vehicles.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I would go with whatever the Toyota Matrix manual for an automatic Matrix with the same year as the Vibe calls for. 03-08 calls for T-IV, so you need something meeting T-IV requirements.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
deebiv

Post by deebiv »

Valvoline Max Life Full Synthetic has treated me well after the last drain and fill. My temps are rarely below 32*, so no cold data.