strange starting issue

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
shredhead

strange starting issue

Post by shredhead »

couldnt find exact issue im having in the search hope someone has an idea....

this seems to happen more if the car hasn't ran for several hours, for example first start in the morning...or after i been at work all day and start it to go home. if i am running errands off/on all day it will start normal 90% of the time

here is what it is doing

it will try to turn over for about 1 sec then i hear a spinning type noise...i can try it about 5 or 6 times and it does the same thing...then about the 7th try it start up

at first i thought it was a loose neg ground clamp, the one on the battery, i couldn't get it any tighter and it was loose....so i bought a new clamp but still same thing

any idea help would be great

thanks in advance :)

2007 vibe
Caretaker

Re: strange starting issue

Post by Caretaker »

Does it make a metallic screeching noise when it does start? A noise that sounds like a loose heat shield rattling very fast and loud? If so, it is the bendix gear inside your starter and it is time for a new Denso starter. Mine got worse over time and was especially noticeable when it began to get cold outside and when the car had not been started for awhile (ie: like overnight).
shredhead

Post by shredhead »

hmmm i didn't notice but i will try and pay more attention to that and post back....ty
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Here's a better way of identifying the noise I refer to: does it sound like the grinding noise you hear when a car is already running, yet you turn the key to start the car not knowing it is already running? That is the metallic grinding noise which indicates the bendix gear is failing inside the starter and it soon will be time for a new one. Again, most people who have experienced the failing bendix gear on the Vibe and Corolla have the noise happen over many months, usually when the cold weather sets in.
shredhead

Post by shredhead »

hello,
no i do not hear any noise at all after it starts it sounds normal. it is just so weird, took several time to start this morning, i got to work, turned it off and tried to restart just to see, and it start right up perfect...grrr... jsut seems like the longer it sits the more it does it

i had an idea tho...

do you think something is getting wet overnight from the humidity..i live in houston area and the entire car is super wet in the morning, and the grass very very wet if you walk across it your shoes would be soaked...just to give you an idea.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

It sure could be. I have had (twice a year) issues with my Vibe starting during very heavy humidity/dew/rain mornings where the car will sputter to a start. I don't know why it has done this; I figure it has something to do with the cheap bundling of wires (not individually wrapped and segregated) which triggers an electrical issue. I have new spark plugs in my car now, but have yet to change my ignition coils. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Last edited by Caretaker on Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
jolt

Post by jolt »

You make it sound like your starter drive is bad. Replace the starter.