2010 Vibe Transmission Filter & Oil Change

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
HPilot

2010 Vibe Transmission Filter & Oil Change

Post by HPilot »

I need info on the changing of the transmission filter on a 2010 Vibe 2.4 Fwd, base model.
What is the fluid capacity?
Thanks
Capt.Vibe

Re: 2010 Vibe Transmission Filter & Oil Change

Post by Capt.Vibe »

Complete drain and fill for the 2.4L is 3.7qt.
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
Owim

Post by Owim »

I recommend replacing the filter aswell if you don't mind dropping the pan to get to it.
2009 2.4 AWD
HPilot

Post by HPilot »

Ok 3.7 qrt or 3.5 li here in Canada, I was going to push the old fluid out of the cooler as well. How much fluid in there?
Is the filter removal straight forward?
I've done some work on older GM vehicles but when checking with
mech's and tranny shops and dealers I get the complex horror story
Of how difficult it is.
Fear never over rules education, so I ask questions.
Thanks
jolt

Post by jolt »

On my 2.4L it was pull the drain plug, remove pan bolts and drop pan. Take the three filter bolts out and remove filter. Make sure "O" ring seal is on new filter and install filter with the three filter mounting/valve body bolts. Torque bolts to spec. Clean pan and magnets. Install pan gasket on pan with pan bolts and bolt pan to transmission. Torque pan bolts to spec.

The hard part for me was getting the fluid level correct. The transmission fluid is a low viscosity fluid that is hard to see on the dip stick when hot. I used Mag1 low viscosity full synthetic fluid that meets the WS standards. I think if I bead blast the end of the dip stick, it would be easier to see the oil level on it. Put the 3.5 qt of oil in it and you should be very close. The 2009 & 2010 4 and 5 speed AT all have the same torque spec for the filter and the pan bolts and is as follows:
Filter bolts - 11 N-m or 97 lb in
Pan - 8 N-m or 71 lb in

Note: "lb in" and NOT foot pounds.

Just keep it clean, use WS rated fluid, and use a good torque wench.
HPilot

Post by HPilot »

Thanks jolt
Your description is pretty much the way I was planning on doing it but I needed to confirm.
As far as torque goes, the fluid change was another reason to buy an in-lb torque wrench.
I have read about taking off the trans oil cooler hose, once the new filter is installed and new fluid added then running the motor to drive the remaining old fluid out of the cooler.
Have you ever done this?
Main concern here was causing any damage to transmission. Some articles say fluid comes out fairly slowly so once new colored fluid appears you can shut the engine off and connect hose and top off.
jolt

Post by jolt »

HPilot wrote:I have read about taking off the trans oil cooler hose, once the new filter is installed and new fluid added then running the motor to drive the remaining old fluid out of the cooler.
Have you ever done this?
No, not on the Vibe. Have done it before on my pickup. The rate at which the fluid comes out is proportional to the engine RPM's. As to why I did not do this on the Vibe is because when you change the filter you are changing about half the transmission fluid. Toyota says the WS rated fluid is good for the life of the vehicle under normal driving conditions. I change my filter at ~50,000 miles and will do it again at 100,000 miles. To me it is the filter that will cause the problems and need to be changed. Fluid does break down but the filter will plug long before this happens and cause loss of oil flow, which will cause loss of pressure, which will cause fluid and transmission damage. Change the filter and use a full synthetic WS rated fluid will keep the fluid from overheating and being damaged with the transmission. The other reason is it is a lot of extra work and expense without a lot of gain to the life of the transmission. That is also why I have never done a power flush to a automatic transmission, I think they do more harm then good by stirring things up and plugging the filter. Change the filter and use full synthetic fluid, that is my opinion. Keep doing this and the fluid will get cycled out over time.

Now if you let the fluid go and have not done the maintenance and the fluid is discolored, then I would do the full pump out that you have talked about. Once again, the fluid and filter change will not fix issues with the transmission. If you have waited until you have problems, it is to late. Stay ahead of the game by doing maintenance and it will cost you less in the long run.

You did get the WS rated fluid? The Vibe manual is wrong on the fluid to use. Do not use what GM says for fluid. If you pull the dip stick on the transmission, it is stamped on the dip stick to use WS fluid. I seen the Toyota WS fluid on ebay for ~$10.00 per quart. The standard that WS oil is under and what you want to search for is JWS 3324. This will bring up different manufactures that make oil meeting the JWS 3324 standard and their data sheets. There are getting to be more and more manufactures of WS type fuild on the market. For alternatives to the Toyota AT fuild that meet the JWS 3324 standard and are WS rated see this link:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/ver ... id.373083/

Here is a link to the Mag1 fluid I used and you can read the reviews on Amazon; I see the price has gone up :|

https://www.amazon.com/Mag-64092-6PK-Mu ... mag1+64092
HPilot

Post by HPilot »

Thanks jolt.
Yes I did get the fluid. The Toyota dealer had it on for $8.00/ liter and it is what they use for their changes.
As far as a complete flush, I believe I read the procedure in a copy of the factory service manual vs Chilton or Haynes. My thinking is that if you disconnect the discharge hose from the cooler you should only be getting old fluid coming out. Keep topping up the transmission with new fluid and running the motor until you get new fluid coming out the cooler. You should then have new fluid throughout. Does this sound correct or could I possibly plug the new filter with this method?
jolt

Post by jolt »

No, you will not plug the filter. What you are talking about is correct. If the fluid is discolored enough that you can tell the difference, then you will know when to stop adding and that is the problem. You need to be adding new oil to the transmission at the same time the old oil is pumping out the return line. You will probably need to pull the lower front splash shield off from under the front body work to drain and will need about 8 to 9 quarts of fluid to replace it all. It can get quit busy trying to watch the fluid color and keeping the fluid flowing into the transmission at the same time as the engine is running and the radiator cooling fans are turning on and off as the engine idles. If it is easy to tell the fluid color changing then you need to change your fluid more often.
HPilot

Post by HPilot »

I understand that, the timing if you will, is important so that there is always the correct amount of fluid in the system. That's where my secret handy man weapon comes in, my assistant who will stop and start the vehicle as required. I'll maybe take out 0.5-1.0 li at a time as the new fluid is being added. I've been trying to figure out how much fluid would be in the cooler but there is probably some in the torque converter as well that would come out. Not sure if the converter fluid comes out when you drop the pan or not?
Either way I've got 8 li so that should be close.
Going to go slow.