Starter Slow Crank

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
chitownsf

Starter Slow Crank

Post by chitownsf »

I have a 2007 base w/ 220k. Last week the starter and battery went out and were replaced. A few days later I tried to start it and got nothing when I turned the key. By "nothing" I mean no click and the starter didn't crank. I tried it twice before the engine finally cranked and started. I bought it back to the repair shop (PepBoys) but they wouldn't do anything unless the problem happens in the shop. The starter is also cranking slowly every once in awhile but the engine does start. Does this sound like a defective starter or something else is going on? I do use the car for delivery business so I'm starting the car about 10-15 times a day.
Thanks for your help!
Derf

Re: Starter Slow Crank

Post by Derf »

New battery and starter, could be a bad ground or wire connection. When they replaced the starter and battery they may have moved a cable just enough to prevent a perfect contact. Check the ground cables off the battery, remove and clean the connection surfaces See if they accidentally forgot not to tighten the starter power nuts.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

Derf wrote:New battery and starter, could be a bad ground or wire connection. When they replaced the starter and battery they may have moved a cable just enough to prevent a perfect contact. Check the ground cables off the battery, remove and clean the connection surfaces See if they accidentally forgot not to tighten the starter power nuts.
+1. check the main ground from the negative terminal of the battery to the frame. and if you have a situation where it does not start, run a jumper cable from the negative terminal to the frame or block. if it starts, you have a bad ground wire or connection (i did 2x.)
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
Owim

Post by Owim »

That sounds like my car when I had a bad battery, slow crank but would eventually turn over.
2009 2.4 AWD
chitownsf

Post by chitownsf »

Thanks for the help! Checked the ground wires and connections. They seemed ok but the problem seems to have gone away so that was probably it.