Broken exhaust manifold

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
2006MoonstoneVibe

Broken exhaust manifold

Post by 2006MoonstoneVibe »

My exhaust manifold cracked in half due to metal fatigue. What's a good replacement brand? Are the cast iron ones ok?

2006 Moonstone Vibe
oldelpaseo

Re: Broken exhaust manifold

Post by oldelpaseo »

My brother had to change his (it was so rusted it wouldnt seal right on engine head). He ordered this one on egay. New with gaskets included, seems like a good deal to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361715078796?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
2006MoonstoneVibe

Post by 2006MoonstoneVibe »

Yes, thank you, I saw that one also, but decided to stay with my old manifold. Mine had no rust on it at all, but was clearly stress cracked from fatigued metal. It was actually in two pieces, cracked apart at the "Y" piece which collects the two runners into the collector. I welded it and it's fine now. I guess I'll find out if it will crack at another location. Right now good, passed state inspection. I tried to post some pictures, but kept getting the "upload failed" message.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

2006MoonstoneVibe wrote: I tried to post some pictures, but kept getting the "upload failed" message.
Uploaded pics have to be less than 130kB, otherwise put them on the facebook group.
2009 Vibe Base