Slow, hesitated 1st gear launch

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Rzza

Slow, hesitated 1st gear launch

Post by Rzza »

I have been noticing lately that I cannot launch from a red light without accelerating sooner than I should or I could say I am having to release the clutch later than I should because of a slow take-off. I could simply disengage the clutch the proper way but then I get about a 3 second delay where the engine isn't revving at all then it pick up and goes. I feel like this has been going on for a while, maybe even as long as I have owned it (2 or 3 years). I have the 0420 code so I have been thinking it's the o2 sensors (based on my quick research here). I mentioned that to my buddy and he said no way. Before I go and have them replaced, I wanted some advice here. Thanks for any input you can offer.
jolt

Re: Slow, hesitated 1st gear launch

Post by jolt »

The "Check Engine" light on and if so, how long has it been on? What year is the car, how many miles, and what transmission do you have? What was used to read the code and are there any other codes?
Rzza

Post by Rzza »

Hi, its 2003 gt with 195,000 I have owned it since 160,000. It runs absolutely perfect the whole time, I just replaced the clutch a year ago thats it. the lights been on for 10 or so thousand miles its p0420 for emissions. I had the code read by a auto shop and also pep boys which is an auto supply. Thanks for any advice.
Rzza

Post by Rzza »

Basically the acceleration is very peppy like a brand new car but NOT from a dead stop in first gear. The first couple seconds of taking off in first gear its non responsive. Once that couple seconds is up then its back to responsive, peppy acceleration through all 6 gears.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Read this to understand what is going on and what is needed to troubleshoot your P0420 code.

http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/ ... -p0420-dtc

With that many miles on your Vibe there are a lot of things that could cause that code and I would guess that you have more then one problem now. Driving after the check engine light came on for 10,000 miles is never a good idea as other systems can be damaged.

"If there are any misfires, ignition, fuel and/or intake problems, these must be repaired before the Catalyst code is addressed. Any misfire, ignition, and/or fuel system problem will quickly ruin a Catalyst. They are often the cause for code in the first place."

Hold on to your wallet and good luck.
Rzza

Post by Rzza »

Thanks for the reply. I just drove around to get the engine hot and checked the temps of the cat and I got around 400 farenheit before and after the cat but the cat itself was only about 150 farenheit. Why would the cat be so cool? I fully expected it to be much hotter. There is no shield on it, it rusted off a year ago.
jolt

Post by jolt »

What did you use to read the temps with? If an IR hand temp gun with the the little red dot laser beam, read how to use it at the top of gun. Your reading do not make any sense. Exhaust out of the engine is ~1000F and a CC needs to be over 600F to even work. If CC is not over 600F, your convertor is ruined. Read the earlier post and link.