I killed my '03 Base

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Asterisk

I killed my '03 Base

Post by Asterisk »

So, after lurking forever and pouring over threads to try and figure out what I want to do with my car and how much $$$ I want to throw down on a car that isn't virtually worth much, I must finally break my silence and ask for some feedback..

I drive my Vibe tough with about 120 miles a day for my commute.. So it is no wonder that in the dead of heat, after I rev my engine and switch lanes to try and get ahead of a slower driver in the toll lanes, I hear it. I feel it. The car hesitates, shifts gears, and I hear a series of whirrs and clicks as I release the gas to try and save my engine.. I am halfway home, halfway to work, and the poor girl limps along so I take her lightly through the hills to work, keeping from overpowering and causing more noise. Breaking the story short, after work I checked my oil and coolant ¿place about a quart of each? and try to get the heck out of dodge before traffic starts.. The engine is toast already, but I assume otherwise as the noise has died and the acceleration seems only a bit more sluggish than usual.

I made my partner in life tow me to the mechanic who says he may be able to replace my 250,777 mile engine with someing closer to 65,000 for near 1,800 w/parts&labor. That's just to get it back on the road..! My biggest worry is how much oil I am eating (i didnt even concider the problem w/out an oil light on) and what road to take from here.. I am keeping my eyes on the Poor Man's Mod Guide (which wouldn't get started for a few months from now at my current cash flow rate,) but now that's throwing around 3,800 down on a car I may have 4-6 more years? I love this girl, but am I being a little too irrational? :<

I've already looped her through Aamco once for a Solenoid problem a year or so back, but don't know of any other definite problems as of yet..
MacGyver

Re: I killed my '03 Base

Post by MacGyver »

Welcome to Genvibe. I wish it were under better circumstances. So sorry about your Vibe.

With any engine, especially high mileage engines, it's important to check fluids regularly, and not rely on instrumentation to indicate a problem. Any engine can burn oil any time.

You didn't post your location, so we don't know if rust is a problem where you live. If the undercarriage is in excellent shape, then $1800 is sure less expensive than another vehicle. On the other hand, depending on the price of used cars in your area, and your budget, you might be able to get a newer Vibe with less miles.

However, the bottom line is the bottom line. If you spend $1800 for a new engine, or $3000 for a newer used vehicle, the maintenance expenses aren't much different. So don't be fooled into thinking that you'll save money in the long run with another car. You could drive it off the lot and have to replace the water pump three months later like I did last week with my low mileage 09.
2009 Vibe Base
Asterisk

Post by Asterisk »

I'm in the SoCal area and my commute takes me to the beach, but I spend a majority of my time inland. Rust doesn't seem to be a problem from last time I crawled under to change a tire, but I can't specifically recall.. :/

Thus far, I took the plunge for the engine and will know more on Friday. :]
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Asterisk wrote:Thus far, I took the plunge for the engine and will know more on Friday. :]
Nice :D Keep us posted on the progress and glad you're saving this Vibe!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"