Removal of exhaust manifold

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Dairgo

Removal of exhaust manifold

Post by Dairgo »

So... some time ago I had a new mangaflow exhaust put on, manifold back. The replacement manifold didn't have the brackets for the heatshield, so it rattles around when I hit 1.7k rpm or so. Done a few things with the shop that put it on to limit it, but nothing really good yet.

There's a pick'n'pull near me, thinking about going and pulling a manifold from a 2009 2.4L from a vibe or matrix.

Any indication as to how hard this will be? What size socket(s) will I need?

I've got a full mechanic's toolset, and a few extras, but just trying to get a feel for what I'm getting into when I go do this.

Going to grab either some WD-40, or brake cleaner or rust remover in the morning.

Thanks for any info.
Dairgo

Re: Removal of exhaust manifold

Post by Dairgo »

Wasn't able to find one at any of the local pick 'n' pulls....

but on the flip side of things... followed a 1st gen vibe into the lot, young man had just bought it the night before and was looking for some window/lock panels for front driver and passenger. Was able to clue him in on the whole vibe/matrix compatibility thing. We didn't find any vibes in the lot, but of the 2 matrixs we found one that had the correct control panels, cost him maybe $5 for the two of em. helped get them popped and viola the windows worked.
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Nice. Maybe karma will circle back around and reward you. And definitely take some pb blaster or the like with you next time you go. Not really sure how hard/easy that particular manifold is to remove. Someone else will be in to help, I'm sure. Good luck.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

yeah, bought some WD-40 rust release penetrant spray to use.

hopefully some day I'll find one... lol those things just don't die... they run forever.
jolt

Post by jolt »

So the only problem is that the heat shield makes noise? Why couldn't you go to an exhaust shop and have tabs welded to the manifold to mount the heat shield to it, or make a new heat shield to fit the new manifold? You want to find a shop that bends exhaust tubing or fabricates exhaust parts for hot rod / older cars.

Generally, removing exhaust parts is a pain in the you know what. The high heat cooks any oils out of the metals and fuse/rust the threads together. Twisting off bolts is all to easy. The safe way to remove old exhaust, without twisting stuff off or cutting it off, is to use a torch to heat the metal up till it is orange and expanded out, then the fasteners will turn out freely most of the time.
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

Yeah, the only issue is that it rattles @ about 1.7k rpm.

Had thought it might be easier / cheaper to get an old manifold and but the ones off that and have the shop I'm working with put em on.

I purchased https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=51078 and it does not have any brackets for the heat shields. Yeah, might have to resort to going to the hotrod shop a few towns over and seeing if they can make some brackets. They are usually too busy doing insurance repairs and custom cars to even think about my car. yeah... money's money but appearantly mine isn't worth as much as others.