2azfe engine replacement question

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Dendeel

2azfe engine replacement question

Post by Dendeel »

I have a 09 Vibe GT with the 2.4 2azfe motor, I think I'm into a motor change as I'm losing a litre of oil every 2 tanks of gas. There are no leaks underneath so I assume it's burning off. Since GM has no knowledge of there being a problem with these motors I'm on my own.
My question is will any 2 azfe work? I realize I will have to swap intake, exhaust etc but that's not a problem. I have been searching wreckers but Vibe GT's are somewhat rare here in Ontario so the motors that are available are fetching premium $$$, but there are lots of Camrys with 2azfe's for cheaper.
Thanks
Dennis
joatmon

Re: 2azfe engine replacement question

Post by joatmon »

I can't say what other cars have compatible engines, but did want to say good luck, and welcome to genvibe.

http://car-part.com/ can be a good resource to search junkyards for parts
jolt

Post by jolt »

You did read this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=45296

about Vibe burning large amounts of oil? Toyota has a TSB out about it.

My thoughts are if you buy a used engine, it could have the same problem. Even if they warranty the used engine, you are still out the labor cost and more down time to swap out another engine. If you have the pistons and rings replaced, the engine should be fixed by the TSB and you know what you have when it is done.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Here I added a link to the toyota TSB #TSB-0094-11. It shows the work involved with the ring and piston replacement.

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2011/T-SB-0094-11.pdf
printmonger

Post by printmonger »

So I am in negotiations with my local GM dealer to replace a puked 2.4 motor. There is a short block available in Michigan for $2001 and 20 hours to pull, tear down and replace the motor. How do I know that the replacement short block doesn't have the same problems?