Vibe overheating, battery light on, won't steer

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
goodvibe77

Vibe overheating, battery light on, won't steer

Post by goodvibe77 »

While driving home from work, all of the sudden my car started overheating, the battery light came on, and when I went to pull over the steering locked up. When I opened the hood,I noticed the reservoir was overflowing with coolant. Does anyone know what caused this? It's a 2004 Pontiac Vibe base model, automatic transmission. About 200,000 miles.
Chiadog

Re: Vibe overheating, battery light on, won't steer

Post by Chiadog »

Sounds like you lost (broken or jumped off pulleys) the serpentine belt. This belt drives the water pump, the alternator, and the power steering pump. I believe you should have received a battery/alternator light immediately. The car will need to be towed or repaired where it is. Driving it will destroy the engine. Can't be positive about anything with such limited information, but I think this is the most likely cause.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

I agree with Chiadog, don't drive the car have it towed.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
goodvibe77

Post by goodvibe77 »

Trust me I'm not driving it. I left it in the parking lot of a gas station and got a ride home. Hopefully it'll be fixed today.
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

With a 19mm socket, a breaker bar, and a new belt, you'd have it fixed yourself. I just did my belt yesterday, and this thread made me glad I did.
goodvibe77

Post by goodvibe77 »

It was the belt and belt tensioner. It cost me $155.00 in parts, $125.00 in labor $280.00 total.
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

Sounds like the bearing seized on the tensioner pulley and it threw the belt. How many miles are on the car?
jolt

Post by jolt »

Watch your engine motor oil level over the next month or so. Depending on how badly the engine got overheated, and it does not take much, you could have ruined the piston rings and the motor will start burning oil. By over heating, the piston rings loose their tension and do not seal like they should against the cylinder wall; hence burning more oil. Some of the 2.4L engines have an oil usage problem to begin with and to add an over heat to that is going to make the problem worse. If you run the engine out of oil, it will not be repairable so watch the oil level closely.
goodvibe77

Post by goodvibe77 »

PonchoGT wrote:Sounds like the bearing seized on the tensioner pulley and it threw the belt. How many miles are on the car?
In or around 200,000
goodvibe77

Post by goodvibe77 »

jolt wrote:Watch your engine motor oil level over the next month or so. Depending on how badly the engine got overheated, and it does not take much, you could have ruined the piston rings and the motor will start burning oil. By over heating, the piston rings loose their tension and do not seal like they should against the cylinder wall; hence burning more oil. Some of the 2.4L engines have an oil usage problem to begin with and to add an over heat to that is going to make the problem worse. If you run the engine out of oil, it will not be repairable so watch the oil level closely.
Ok I will. I am worried because I noticed it was riding a bit rough. I hope nothing happens again, b/c that repair ate into my budget and if and I can't afford any type of repair until next payday.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Where do you live?

Also, I think it's more likely that if you overheated it, the head and/or block would warp and the headgasket would cease sealing correctly. If you're very, very lucky, this will just have been an unusually exciting day for your engine and it will forgive you. Just keep checking the oil level and the coolant level/consistency.

If the oil level is dropping and you have no leaks outside, it is leaking into the cylinders and getting burned.

If the coolant level is dropping and you have no external leakage, it is leaking through the headgasket into the cylinders and burning.

If the engine oil is rising, coolant is leaking through a failed headgasket or through a crack in the block. If the head or block is cracked, you need a new engine. It's not repairable in any cheap or easy way.

If the coolant is getting oily, you have engine oil getting through the headgasket into it, or through a crack in the block.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
goodvibe77

Post by goodvibe77 »

lannvouivre wrote:Where do you live?

Also, I think it's more likely that if you overheated it, the head and/or block would warp and the headgasket would cease sealing correctly. If you're very, very lucky, this will just have been an unusually exciting day for your engine and it will forgive you. Just keep checking the oil level and the coolant level/consistency.

If the oil level is dropping and you have no leaks outside, it is leaking into the cylinders and getting burned.

If the coolant level is dropping and you have no external leakage, it is leaking through the headgasket into the cylinders and burning.

If the engine oil is rising, coolant is leaking through a failed headgasket or through a crack in the block. If the head or block is cracked, you need a new engine. It's not repairable in any cheap or easy way.

If the coolant is getting oily, you have engine oil getting through the headgasket into it, or through a crack in the block.
I live in Richmond, VA. I hope it was nothing more than an unusually exciting day. I'll check my oil this weekend.