P0717 Code on 2009 GT

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
wabenson

P0717 Code on 2009 GT

Post by wabenson »

Hey guys -

Hello, new here. I'm at a turning point with my Vibe as it has a few issues that will require some investment, and I've just taken a new job with a longer commute. I know from my past experience (drove an '03 Matrix for 7 years) that the "value" a dealer would assign to it is much less than the life it's got left. I bought it used with 59k miles just over 3 years ago. So I've decided I want to get it back up to speed and continue enjoying it. I'm posting in a few areas about the various issues I have and will appreciate your advice! Be forewarned that I am extremely un-savvy about cars and mechanically inept in general.

Just a couple of weeks ago the Check Engine Light, TSC, etc came on with no evident problems. I had the code read and got P0717 - Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit No Signal. The light has been on and off since and it wasn't until about a week ago that I actually felt the transmission having issues - the occasional hiccup at lower RPMs and speeds. I haven't had highway issues that I recall. I am taking it to a transmission shop on Monday to get an estimate.

I've done a lot of digging online and haven't found this problem to be recurring with other owners, and there's never been a recall. I found one instance in one of the threads here where another user cited a "dirty AMD sensor." I am going to go detail the car tomorrow, including the engine, so I'm hoping that makes a difference. If not, from what I can tell, not many transmission issues don't end in transmission replacement, which is a very costly thing and would be tremendously inconvenient right now.

I know the first answer will be "wait til you take it to the shop" but in the meantime, I was hoping you might have some insight for me. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks, Aaron
2003 Toyota Matrix (former) / 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT - 85k (current)
circuitsmith

Re: P0717 Code on 2009 GT

Post by circuitsmith »

Start by checking and re-plugging the electrical connectors to the sensor on the transmission.
At the back of the transmission, at the differential side. It will be under your throttle body. You will need to take the air box lid and the pipe off, and look down. The speedometer gear the speed sensor is driven by is attached to the differential which your axles (c/v shafts) go into.
2006 Matrix 5-sp