buying a vibe. How many miles is too many?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Khaj

buying a vibe. How many miles is too many?

Post by Khaj »

I'm looking for a Vibe and I'm curious where you would draw the line when looking for one. I had a vibe lined up and the guy sold it the day before I had the money in hand. Thanks!
2006 Pontiac Vibe Base Auto
SeattleJeremy

Re: buying a vibe. How many miles is too many?

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Vibes are very stout cars. Many people have run them above 300k miles. I have 210k miles on my 06, and it's still running strong.

My suggestion is not to worry about the mileage and check the condition of the car. Larry at Ammo NYC made up this sheet for a Porsche, but the bullet points are the same or similar no matter the brand.
http://www.ammonyc.com/wp-content/uploa ... ep_R1B.pdf
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

What generation and what year are you looking at? For me, when dealing with a Honda or Toyota engine, it is about the age, not the mileage. I'll buy a 2009 with 150,000 miles any day of the week before buying a 2003 with the same mileage. A well cared for Honda or Toyota engine will go for 300,000 miles. Age and climate really wears down a vehicle (like electronics; suspension; steering/handling; hardware/components) and makes it old before its time. But to answer your direct question, depending on the price (ie: they are giving it away), I'd put my search below 200,000 miles if I were looking for a Japanese built/component vehicle.
Khaj

Post by Khaj »

Caretaker wrote:What generation and what year are you looking at? For me, when dealing with a Honda or Toyota engine, it is about the age, not the mileage. I'll buy a 2009 with 150,000 miles any day of the week before buying a 2003 with the same mileage. A well cared for Honda or Toyota engine will go for 300,000 miles. Age and climate really wears down a vehicle (like electronics; suspension; steering/handling; hardware/components) and makes it old before its time. But to answer your direct question, depending on the price (ie: they are giving it away), I'd put my search below 200,000 miles if I were looking for a Japanese built/component vehicle.
I'm just looking at any generation for the most part. Right now I have my eyes on a 2003 Vibe GT with 180k miles for about $2k. I'm expecting to spend a few bucks to fix up some stuff but I don't want to spend a couple grand right out of the park on repairs. This is the vehicle I'm looking at on CL. http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5606506352.html
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Just my opinion of course, but from the photos alone, this looks like a pretty neglected car. The engine is filthy and it looks like the brake fluid is dark (although it is not a good angle to positively tell). The interior photo looks like a 1970's Bob Guccione photo shoot, and I can't tell if it comes with the crappy OEM radio. My only wish for you is that you open up to other cars. The Vibe is not the end all, be all car. I think the Honda Fit is simply bulletproof; the Vibe has not been as perfect. The Vibe is a more versatile car given its interior storage capacity and its ability to tow small items (I wouldn't tow anything with a 1.5 liter VTEC engine). Only you know your budget. I'd be more inclined to get a newer car rather than throw potentially lots of money in repair and maintenance money on an '03. As I eluded to in my earlier note, I'd be much more inclined to buy a '07 (first gen) or '09 (second gen) Fit than an '03 Vibe. The third generation of Jazz/Fit is now out, making it easier to find bargains on earlier years of that model. Good luck with your decision.

Here's a nice '09 in the Orlando area.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5643004146.html
I found other first gen Fits similarly priced.
http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5634300842.html
Khaj

Post by Khaj »

I appreciate the input. Sadly, my budget is at max, $3k. I was originally looking at the Honda Fit, as I drive one at one of my jobs on a daily basis. I really like the Fit but I also like the Vibe/Matrix. I've actually found a 06 Vibe with 76k miles on it for $3500 *(gonna try to talk down to 3k). Minor stuff needs to be done. I'm texting the owner right now. Driver side window doesn't go down, had a little sideswipe accident on the rear and there is a scuff on the body, seats have a couple of stains. Tires are needed soon but it sounds like a solid vehicle. I can do basic work on it as needed.
http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5627771799.html
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

yeah, I'm really liking what I'm seeing here. If he/she is dropping the price simply because of the body work and stained seats, you should be like a shark in bloody water. The seats can easily be shampooed. The scuffs can be rubbed out and/or painted over. As long as preventative maintenance has been done, and you don't mind the automatic transmission, this car is looking better than the other one. Make sure the tranny fluid isn't grayer than the color of the paint job; there should be at least a glimmer of cherry red left on a white towel when you pull the dip stick. At the mileage it is now, it is due/overdue for a tranny fluid flush as well as a brake fluid flush. I think I'm seeing a newer radio or at least a GPS device covering the crappy OEM radio. Turn the recirculation button on after turning on the fan to see if you hear the dreaded plastic tooth "clicking" as a result of the worn plastic wheel that moves the vents back and forth. Also, does the passenger's window go up/down using the passenger's side switch or is it just immobile using the master switch on the driver's side? If it at least goes up/down using the passenger's door switch, I don't see that as a big deal either. Either way, it looks like you have some nitpick items you can use to masterfully talk the seller down in price, even though secretly none of it is any big deal. I can't wait to hear how it works out for you. Oh, and tires can be had for a song on the internet these days. There are some great ones rated on tirerack.com. Do your research there and buy from any one of a dozen online tire websites.
Khaj

Post by Khaj »

I was able to talk the seller down to $2700. I kinda expected them to counter with $3k, but who am I to argue with them accepting my first offer? I'm going to drive up there on Friday and check it out. It's about a hour and a half drive north from me, but for the price and condition of the car, I'm down. I'm just hoping this guy doesn't sell his car before I can get up there. I can deal with the small stuff. The mileage and year of the vehicle is strong. As for the manual, I was hoping for a GT but I just need something durable. I was going to buy a 04 vibe base auto with 122k miles within the next couple of days but the guy sold the car to his cousin last minute even though he was holding it for me. I'm taking my future brother-in-law with me to check out the car to make sure everything is solid. He's worked in many repair shops. Good luck to me :D
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome and Congrats! I hope you get it without hiccups. Can't wait to see the pictures after you gave it well deserved cleansing. Start a thread in the Vibe Garage.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476