O/D button no longer works

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Browning

O/D button no longer works

Post by Browning »

Have any of you had an issue like this before? It worked a few days ago when I accidentally hit it backing out of the driveway. Pushed the button tonight and noticed no light on the dash, so I proceeded to counts shifts and nope, nothing happens when you push the button. Thankfully it is stuck with overdrive on, or I would really have issues.

I found one thread saying broken wire, but there wasn't much detail on it. I assume this isn't a common enough thing that an EDU has been written up about? I would think since pushing the button does nothing, nor does the dash light come on, that the problem would be with the area around the switch, or the switch itself. I just wanted to make a thread and see if any of you had the issue and no a direct fix for it before I go digging around. :D
BustedVibe

Re: O/D button no longer works

Post by BustedVibe »

Mine has the same problem. It works intermittently. For a while just putting pressure on the shifter knob/stick a certain way would seem to help it engage so I am guessing either broken switch on the shifter, or more likely a broken wire.

Post by Browning »

BustedVibe wrote:Mine has the same problem. It works intermittently. For a while just putting pressure on the shifter knob/stick a certain way would seem to help it engage so I am guessing either broken switch on the shifter, or more likely a broken wire.
It bugs me and I thought about it the entire time that I was driving it today. I plan on digging in either this week or this coming weekend. I have got to get it working again or it will drive me nuts. What ever I find I will try to take pics and update this for you.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Did you have the airbag recall work done? The Chevy dealer I used tore my O/D button up, stuffing bare wires in the shifter, causing O/D to come and go at random as the wires vibrated together and apart. I had to tape up the ends and put the shifter back on to stop it from doing that.
BustedVibe wrote:Mine has the same problem. It works intermittently. For a while just putting pressure on the shifter knob/stick a certain way would seem to help it engage so I am guessing either broken switch on the shifter, or more likely a broken wire.
Mine would also do that. It was because of the bare wires stuffed in the shifter, caused by the Chevy dealer doing the recall work. They yanked the shifter off, ripping the wires out of the O/D button out of being lazy about proper disassembly. Then they stuff it back together, as if no problems would happen from that.

2003 Vibe Base A/T
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

Browning wrote:
It bugs me and I thought about it the entire time that I was driving it today. I plan on digging in either this week or this coming weekend. I have got to get it working again or it will drive me nuts. What ever I find I will try to take pics and update this for you.
So, the o/d switch did nothing for the last 100,000+ miles or so.

Today, all of a sudden the dash indicator comes on. WTH ? ? ? And yes, the RPMs were up like it was waiting to shift but did not. So the 'puter is seeing the status change.

Pushing shifter button does nothing ...normal.

Shifted the shifter back-n-forth a bunch of times. Eventually the lite went off and stayed off. WTH ???

Anybody have any pics or how-to to take that mechanism apart?

I had the CD manual for sometime then one day the desktop 'puter would no load it so I have no manual to access till I get that resolved.

Thanks..........
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
BustedVibe

Post by BustedVibe »

Put it into lowest gear, put on the parking brake, then unscrew the knob from the shifter

???

that's my guess. Pretty sure there is a screw on the back of the knob