Another 5 speed victim

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
coltsfan

Another 5 speed victim

Post by coltsfan »

New member here although I am very familar with the site. A lot of good info you guys have to offer. Well my 2007 base Vibe with the 5 speed with135000 miles now has a bad input shaft bearing. Regularly maintained using redline synthetic. I believe I am going to go the route of replacing it with a used 6 speed seeing it is half the cost of a used 5 speed. Just curious of those who have made the switch are you happy with the 6 speed over the 5? My Vibe rarely gets on the expressway so Im not concerned about the added rpms at 70 mph. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
jayoldschool

Re: Another 5 speed victim

Post by jayoldschool »

SOOO happy with my 6 speed swap. It was inexpensive, and easy. Car drives great. I went with 205 60 16s to bring the top gear rpm back a bit.
coltsfan

Post by coltsfan »

Thanks Jayoldschool for the quick response. I have seen several of your posts saying that you were happy with swap. I see a lot of people talk about the swap but not a lot of comments from anyone who has done it. Not sure yet if Im going to do the swap myself or take it to my mechanic. 10 years ago I would have jumped right in. Getting a little older now and turning wrenches isnt so much fun anymore.
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Just ask the mechanic for a quote on a clutch replacement. Same labour. I'm an experienced shade tree, and have done transmission swaps many times. I did mine on a lift, with another real tech. We took our time, and were done in about five hours.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

coltsfan wrote: Well my 2007 base Vibe with the 5 speed with135000 miles now has a bad input shaft bearing.
Hmmmm ... now I'm confused. I thought the only years affected by the bad bearing issue were 2003-04? Yours being much newer shouldn't have been affected and at such a lower mileage. I sure hope my 2009 5-speed manual someday doesn't have this problem
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
coltsfan

Post by coltsfan »

I have a good transmission shop I can trust. Im a pretty good shade tree mechanic myself but this doesn't look like a job I want to tackle without a lift. Watched a few youtube videos to get an idea whats involved. Getting too damn old to be crawling up and down off the garage floor. A lift would make this job a lot easier.