1ZZFE oil pan

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
WestC4

1ZZFE oil pan

Post by WestC4 »

Hey y'all,
My vibe is a 2008 base with the 1zzfe engine and 5 speed manual transmission. The oil drain plug has started to strip out on me so I am going to replace the pan. I have looked up the part and aftermarket pans seem to run around 50-60 dollars in my area. My local junkyard has one but they are quoting me 72 dollars. I found one on toyotapartsestore.com, part number 121010D010. Is this the correct oil pan? If so I'll pry order it, thanks.
WestC4
circuitsmith

Re: 1ZZFE oil pan

Post by circuitsmith »

There are kits to re-do the threads and use an oversize plug.
Saves time and money.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
WestC4

Post by WestC4 »

I do appreciate the idea, but not a fan of rethreads, would rather just replace it, thanks again though
Derf

Post by Derf »

Pan is fairly easy to drop, good opportunity to look at the bottom end. While under the car great time to check for surprises. My brake lines were perfect but the tranny lines were starting to rust With the pan off its easier to reach around parts of the engine and touch up rusting brackets and lines.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

$72 for a used part with who knows what kind of wear and tear on the threads? :o Brand new OEM pan is only ~$100 online at the moment from GM.

I went with the GM part when the plug was stripped out on ours. Don't recall what I ended up paying when it was all said and done (I had my mechanic replace it since I was too chicken to try myself.)

I did try asking Toyota about the pan before I chose to go with GM but Toyota refused to help. They took their usual stance of "the parts are different, quit bothering us about crap on a Pontiac."
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
WestC4

Post by WestC4 »

Thanks, I decided to order the new pan (oem Toyota part) since it was only another $12 or so. Yea there is shipping but I know the pan is new and the threads are good.

One other question, do these cars use an oil pan gasket or just a high grade silicone? I've seen oil pan gaskets for a vibe on a few parts sites, but not all of them, so not sure if it has an actual gasket or not. Please help answer.
Thanks
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

WestC4 wrote:Thanks, I decided to order the new pan (oem Toyota part) since it was only another $12 or so. Yea there is shipping but I know the pan is new and the threads are good.

One other question, do these cars use an oil pan gasket or just a high grade silicone? I've seen oil pan gaskets for a vibe on a few parts sites, but not all of them, so not sure if it has an actual gasket or not. Please help answer.
Thanks
Could have ordered from your local Toyota dealer for free pickup, if the price was less than buying online with shipping.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
WestC4

Post by WestC4 »

Yea, the local dealer was way higher. Does anyone know if these cars use an actual gasket or just a bead of silicone?
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

It's a bead of sealant. I'd use Toyota FIPG or one of the oil resistant Permatex.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
WestC4

Post by WestC4 »

thanks a lot there!