EVAP Mistery! used cars are like a box of chocolates....

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Chiadog

EVAP Mistery! used cars are like a box of chocolates....

Post by Chiadog »

Upon the first gas tank filling of his "new" 03 Vibe Base, My son was barely able to add gas due to immediate gas nozzle shut-off! A second gas pump was no help. When he got home, he found a rusty 3/8" ratchet extension plugged into an EVAP. Line at the charcoal canister. After removing the obstruction, the gas tank now fills normally! He is waiting to see if the car will now throw a code related to the EVAP system.
Does anyone know what was being attempted/accomplished by plugging this line (vent line?)? Possibly a way to pass an emissions test?
BenWA

Re: EVAP Mistery! used cars are like a box of chocolates....

Post by BenWA »

A 78 dodge van I had, I had to sloooowly pump the gas and let it drain down or it would actually back up and spew out!. Beats me why. Maybe the hard angle it had in the filler neck leading down to the tank. I think also it's partly because fuel pumps now a days pump a lot faster than they did in 1978. When I had to stop for gas in Oregon, I warned the pump jockey that if he set it and walked away, it would overflow. He had me pump my own gas instead.

But anyhow, for an 03 Vibe (which is what I have) that shouldn't be a problem!
2003 Vibe Base A/T
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Here is a YT that explains the purge system based on a Mazda 626. Hopefully it helps with your problems.
https://youtu.be/d4vENWOHnEk
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Chiadog wrote: he found a rusty 3/8" ratchet extension plugged into an EVAP. Line at the charcoal canister.
That's a good one :lol: It's amazing the things we find from prior owners. Not sure without looking at a fuel system layout BUT it has to be some sort of vent. My 09-10 manuals would be no good or I'd look it up.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

vibrologist wrote:Here is a YT that explains the purge system based on a Mazda 626. Hopefully it helps with your problems.
https://youtu.be/d4vENWOHnEk
Thanks vibrologist! Interesting video, but probably quite a bit different than the 03 Vibe. The EVAP. systems seem to get more complex with each generation. Amazing that I have never had to look at EVAP in any of my cars! I guess that is the "benefit" of never owning a car newer than my 05 Vibe. I think the plan is to wait a week or so for a code, and if no code - then loosen the gas cap and see if a code is generated. I will update when I hear something.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Interesting video, but probably quite a bit different than the 03 Vibe.
It can't be that much different.

You wrote this earlier:
he found a rusty 3/8" ratchet extension plugged into an EVAP. Line at the charcoal canister. After removing the obstruction, the gas tank now fills normally!
That means the obstructed line is the EVAP line from the tank. It allowed the air (fumes) to escape as the fuel ran into the tank. Normally the fumes should be swallowed by the charcoal canister.

I agree though, waiting for a code is a workable strategy.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Perhaps somebody did it when they had the car in storage to keep the fuel from evaporating/fresh, but then long forgot?
2003 Vibe Base A/T
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

vibrologist wrote:
That means the obstructed line is the EVAP line from the tank. It allowed the air (fumes) to escape as the fuel ran into the tank. Normally the fumes should be swallowed by the charcoal canister.
I agree though, waiting for a code is a workable strategy.[/quote]

ME:
I'm not near the car so I can't check, but my son says the "plugged" line comes off of a solenoid valve (SVS?) on the canister. He thinks the the open end of this line is supposed to be tucked up into the small square box protruding under the spare tire carrier as a means of protecting the open end of the line from mice and such.
The car is actually a 2004 Base Vibe, Oopsie. The canister arrangement is different on his 2004 Base VS my 2005 Base for whatever reason, so comparison seems futile. Anyone out there with a 2004 Base who can crawl under and confirm that your car has a large diameter (3/8" -1/2") smooth rubber open-ended line coming off a canister solenoid valve? Thanks!
Son reports: no codes yet!
trb

Post by trb »

Here is the canister from my 03 GT which is just about the same as the base 03-04.

As you can see in the next pic, the larger hose from the valve on the left side does go to the metal "cage" under the car. So if that is the plugged line, it should be ok once it is opened.

Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Thanks Thomas! Comparing the pictures, I'm pretty sure the 03-04 Vibe GT and 03-04 Vibe Base have the same canister set-up. Definitely different from my 05 Base. My 05 Base canister looks similar, but I think it has an extra "doodad" or two attached and no large smooth vent line anywhere.
Your picture of the installed canister clearly shows the smooth line which was plugged on my Son's car, and had it's end tucked into the protective metal cage. If I find the correct diagram on-line, I'll add it to this thread.
trb

Post by trb »

My first thought when the CEL came on my car and it was the evap codes, was, "Oh, I'll just grab the canister from my son's car and try it". Then I looked at his and they looked a good bit different. The replacement one in the second pic came from a 02 or 03 I think, Corolla. I crawled under about 5 Toyota cars before I found one that looked the same as mine.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

UPDATE: It has been 11 days since Sonny extricated the "plug" from his new Vibe's Evap. Canister Line. No codes of any type have been received to this point! The car's gas mileage has been 31mpg in mixed driving since removing the socket set extension. The car is running great! I am not sure if he will loosen the gas cap to "test" the trouble code system. He may be a "Leave sleeping dogs lie" Type! :lol: