Tranny Question :)

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
LoneWolf

Tranny Question :)

Post by LoneWolf »

Hello everyone,
New here and I just bought my first Vibe...It's an 03 and currently has 122,000 miles on it now (had 97,000 when I bought last year)...
Have a few questions about the vibe in general...
First one being about the tranny...Seems to have lost the bite a little taking off from 1st, meaning when I let the clutch in and give it gas....If I let the clutch in too fast, it almost sounds like it bogs down and slow acceleration at first until the momentum kicks in and then it's fine after that...I notice it more on inclines (hills)...To get full operation, like when I first got it, I have to slowly let the clutch back in....Also, want to mention, when I am coming to a stop sign, i wait until the last sec, when it's getting ready to chug and stall, i pop the clutch and then engage again and seems to be fine for a few and then back to the sluggish self again....Anyone have any idears on what this could be?? normal clutch,bearing,etc.....Note, I have driven a stick before but has been awhile since this one...

I know this isn't the right thread but was wondering how I can cancel the DRL...For me, I like being in control of my headlights and hate the fact that I'm burning up good filaments on a bright sunny day....I have found one way, but that involves dis-engaging my e-brake all the way down and just pulling it up just 1 click to keep it dis-engaged b4 I start it up and drive...Any other ways I can prevent my headlights coming on by themselves??
Thank you :)
tpollauf

Re: Tranny Question :)

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome LoneWolf to GenVibe. If you search enough topics/posts pertaining to 2003 5-speed manual transmissions, you'll find your answer. Be ready for a shock though. I won't break the news to you but rather you discover it on your own. Good luck!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Just posting an update to this original question but forgot to mention that the clutch pedal was just a tad bit on the soft side and not really knowing that it also affected my tort (take off speed)....Just recently I noticed my clutch felt alot stiffer and got my takeoff speed again....I have only had a couple of manuals in my day so I am not that much knowledgeable on the system, but did some investigation and found out apparently there was some air in the clutch/brake system (not knowing/realizing they were running off the same system) but my car is alive again, more or less...lol

Also did the yellow wire splice/ground as talked about in the other posts about that pesky DRL lights, so I can drive around without any worries of burning up those nicely priced filament bulbs...lol
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

It sounds like your clutch is losing hydraulic pressure. I would hold the clutch down for a little while then put it in gear and see how it takes off. Then pump the pedal a few times and throw it into gear quicker. If it acts up when the pedal is down for a while but not when it is quickly depressed and released, replace the clutch master cylinder.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Didn't seem to notice to much difference on that....Just wondering if there is still air in the system...I did forget to mention that before I got the car, it did have a new caliper installed on the back drivers side...
After I bought the car, it had it's full tort, then as the cooler weather came in, that's when the clutch pedal got a tad softer and then when I mentioned the clutch seemed to be back to normal is when weather was nicer...

When I pop the clutch and give it to 4000-4500k rpm before I change gear again and so on, it does seem the clutch gets stiffer as driving progresses...
Then next time I drive, i encounter the same thing....I did get most of my tort back, but still not at 100%...Could that still be the clutch master cylinder or could there still be air in the system??
I don't see any leaks or anything inside the car, but haven't gotten a chance to get underneath the vehicle for inspection...Ty for ur help :)
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Just posting an update here...I was trying to figure on what was going on mainly because of my acceleration takeoff (tort), so that's why i was asking all these questions....I did have the P042 code and basically I replaced the cat and both O2 sensors....I know my mechanics did say that the ignition coils do tend to go bad on them when I took it to them to inspect before I first bought the car....I tried to explain to them what was going on but of course no codes visible, so everything is fine...
Anyways, I thought back to what they said about the coils, so for crap and giggles, I decided to order a 4 pack of coils and replaced them all....What a major difference it made... Basically I got my acceleration back!!!!! Woooo Hoooooo
There must have been a couple starting to go bad for me to notice a difference in my acceleration...
If they were gone, they would have popped a code, right?
Well there were no codes at all for the coil packs, so they must have been starting to go bad...Anyways, I just wanted to post an update
And Ken, It was great meeting you at the Get Go....lol :)
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Bad coils will lead to misfires and eventually trigger a P0300 code for random misfire or PO301,302,303,304 for the individual cylinders.

The fact that you did not get a code makes me think that the program has a high tolerance for misfires and coils should be considered a suspect in high mileage (around 100K) cars with driveability issues even if no code shows.

Thanks for the update!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

That's most to if not all cases about triggering codes for ignition failure but no codes popped up at all....
The car had about 97,000 miles on it and I know it was taken care of and garage kept...Now it has about 141,000 on it now...
The original coils did have some rust on the outer shaft, maybe about an inch right before the boot that goes on top of the plug...

Since I have been driving with the coils being bad for a few months now, should I look into replacing anything else associated within those lines of the coil issue??

I have replaced the PCV valve and spark plugs, since I have had the car, but also wondering what else might be a great preventative maintenance measure I should take care of as well??
I like my vehicles to be tip top since I do use them alot with my job and even though I have AAA, but still don't want to get stranded anywhere
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Spark plugs. PCV. Serp belt.