High Idle When Warmed Up

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Ponvibe

High Idle When Warmed Up

Post by Ponvibe »

After installing a 1ZZFE engine in my 2003 Vibe it ran great except the idle, when cold it started and ran great then began to bog down and most of the time stalled, then when warmed up it was around 2100 rpm. I drove it like this for a month before I realized it was not going to come out of it. So I proceeded in replacing the temp sensor $25, checking the throttle position sensor, replacing manifold gasket $12, cleaning MAF $6, cleaning throttle body, and verifying the proper voltage and signal from all wiring. I was beginning to think, "ok, it must be an O2 sensor" but that didn't make any sense with a P0125 code. Then it hit me, I never checked the IACV (idle air control valve) and after disassembly, (had to use a Dremel tool to grind the rusted screws heads off) sure enough the valve was stuck. Sprayed some MAF cleaner and freed it up, then hit it with WD-40 till it spun freely. Reassembled and all was normal, idling as it was meant to, saving $250 for a NAPA replacement. Hope this helps someone along the way.
Wish I had checked the IACV first, but I got out of cleaning up the yard after this past winter!
2003 FWD Silver 112,000 2nd Motor, 6 Speed, Loaded

2004 AWD Red 212,00 Auto, No options
Chiadog

Re: High Idle When Warmed Up

Post by Chiadog »

Thanks for the tip!