Strange noise on ignition

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
RRich89

Strange noise on ignition

Post by RRich89 »

For the past few weeks when I first start my '06 Vibe I hear what I can describe as an air brake. This only when it's below 40 degress first thing in the morning or after work at night. It doesn't happen every time and I haven't noticed any difference in gas mileage, performance or idling. Any ideas where to start on this?
Caretaker

Re: Strange noise on ignition

Post by Caretaker »

Well, if it is a metal on metal grinding noise, it is the bendix gear inside the Denso starter beginning to fail. That noise is similar to when you turn the key to start the car, only to be reminded that your car is already started. I'm not sure what an air brake noise would sound like other than a whooshing sound, or the sound buses make when they are pumping their brakes and removing the air. Can you be a bit more specific on the sound?
RRich89

Post by RRich89 »

It sounds exactly like a bus releasing air from their brakes. It's loud enough sometimes to startle me on the morning. It definitely does not sound like metal on metal. I'm wondering if it's a sign of the intake manifold gasket starting to fail?
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

First I would try and rule out any pulley's that are being turned by the drive belt.

Other than that, I would just live with it for now as it will either get better or worse with time and you can go from there.
2005 Base - 220k
RRich89

Post by RRich89 »

I'll check the pulleys and just keep an ear out. It seems like most if issues I have with the Vibe magically go away in time. :D
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

Does it happen immediately after releasing the key from "start".
If so it's the starter.
The intake manifold doesn't have enough volume (space inside) to make a whooshing sound.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
RRich89

Post by RRich89 »

When it does happen it is immediately after releasing the key from start. What confuses me is it's inconsistently. From what I understand starter replacement isn't complicated on the Vibe so I'll begin to look into it soon. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Not to keep you stuck on the starter, but when my bendix gear began to go bad, I had to live with it for over a year. Why? Because the noise occurred most of the time in sub 40 degree weather. Once it turned warmer, the noise almost entirely went away, enough anyway so that it was pointless to bring the car into the dealer where they certainly would just tell me "we cannot replicate the customer's complaint." So I waited a whole year and waited for another winter. Once I could get the starter to make the noise every other morning, I waited for a real cold spell before turning it over to the dealer. I made the dealer keep the car for two days and store the car outside, not in a climate controlled shed. Eventually they heard it and replaced the starter for free. Whatever your noise is, cars are just like teeth: they have a way of making you look foolish just when you bring them into the expert for repair.
RRich89

Post by RRich89 »

Thanks for sharing your experience Caretaker I think I'm experiencing the exact same thing. It's warmed up a bit this week and I don't notice the noise at all. I'll definitely put a starter on my spring maintenance list!
RRich89

Post by RRich89 »

Update and silly question: Finally replaced my starter with a reman Denso unit. I will have to wait a few months for the cool weather to really make sure that fixed the noise. I've started the Vibe about a dozen times with the new starter, no issues, in fact overall quicker starts. I take it if there was an issue with the part or my installation I would know immediately correct?
Mark

Post by Mark »

I had the exact same symptoms a couple years ago, eventually that turned into an occasional no-start with a weird noise. Replaced the starter and all is well. Around $100 for a reman from NAPA.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
RRich89

Post by RRich89 »

Update on starter replacement. I'm at the tail end of winter in PA and have not heard the noise I first posted about. Thanks again to everyone for the quick and accurate information!