Do I need injectors?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Jacobmartin7

Do I need injectors?

Post by Jacobmartin7 »

I'm putting basic mods on my 04 Pontiac vibe base model to try and get a little more power. I put a cold air intake and a 4-1 DC sports header on it, I was thinking about getting Accel coils and swapping out my injectors with a 08 Camry because of the hover fuel rate. After I was done doing that I was going to have it dynoed and tuned, for these basic mods do I really need injectors and coils or will the factory parts be able to keep up with the tune?
BenWA

Re: Do I need injectors?

Post by BenWA »

Did you undo your battery and leave it that way for 30mins+ during (or after) you changed the intake? You should clear the computer so it will start over learning air control settings it needs. That's what i did on a 99 F150 that involved simply using PVC pipe and a rubber coupler to give it a larger air intake to the factory airbox. I left the battery undone while I did the mod and it was fine. (Sure, it was a V8 but still. it needed nothing else done)
2003 Vibe Base A/T
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Leave the injectors and coils alone, the Accel ones can melt.

You cannot tune these cars without a piggyback or stand alone computer. The stock ECM can't be reprogrammed like some others can. You'll not exceed the capabilities of your current injectors without boost (super/turbocharging).
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Jacobmartin7

Post by Jacobmartin7 »

lannvouivre wrote:Leave the injectors and coils alone, the Accel ones can melt.

You cannot tune these cars without a piggyback or stand alone computer. The stock ECM can't be reprogrammed like some others can. You'll not exceed the capabilities of your current injectors without boost (super/turbocharging).
So what your saying is that I need to buy a piggy back before I take it to get tuned? Thanks for the info btw, saved me time and money.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Yes. Toyota ECMs are encrypted, and this is a 'Yota ECM that the Vibe uses. Japanese manufacturers don't like to have their systems fiddled with, and Toyota is especially stubborn.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit