Radiator Fan noise

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
GDV

Radiator Fan noise

Post by GDV »

My 2006 Vibe is making a lot of noise that seems to be coming from the rad fan. Has anyone had issues with this before?

Thx
lannvouivre

Re: Radiator Fan noise

Post by lannvouivre »

With the car off, disconnect the fan motor electrical connector and turn the fan by hand. Inspect the inside of the shroud for damage or debris.

If the fan has excessive play or feels rough when you turn it, it's time for a new motor.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
GDV

Post by GDV »

The fan blades seem to have quite a bit lateral movement. The screws for the motor are very corroded, might have to replace the whole assembly?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

GDV wrote:The fan blades seem to have quite a bit lateral movement. The screws for the motor are very corroded, might have to replace the whole assembly?
Spray with some ATF (automatic trans fluid) and let it sit on them for a day or two without running the car. It works better than actual penetrating oils (and don't even bring up WD-40 because that stuff is meant to repel water and is terrible at everything else). ATF is highly flammable, so I wouldn't recommend getting it hot on a fan motor.

Getting the entire fan assembly on rockauto isn't so bad compared to a motor anyway. I'd probably recommend one from Four Seasons. I'm not sure if there's actually a difference between the manual and auto fan shrouds etc. The most I'd expect is mild trimming.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit