Transmission destroyed today

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
jayoldschool

Transmission destroyed today

Post by jayoldschool »

04 Vibe, just under 100k miles. Manual. It's been getting noisy for almost a year. Today, less than a mile from my home, the trans started to make REALLY bad noises. Clunks, whirring, etc. Something broke apart in there and chunks are circulating about. After coasting to a stop, I had no 1st or second. Managed to shove it into 3rd, and slip/rev it to get going. I had another 20 miles to go to get to work, though. Eventually made it. Can't believe that it didn't grenade completely. Did get it to go into 1st and 2nd eventually.

Not going to risk driving it, I'm a teacher and have access to the full auto shop. Found a used 07 with 60k on it for 650 (Canadian), so I'll install that next week.

Not a great start to my day.
lannvouivre

Re: Transmission destroyed today

Post by lannvouivre »

It was probably whatever bearing is prone to failure if it was a 5-speed.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Yes, it will be the terrible bearing cage on the crappy five speed that should have been recalled years ago. Spoke to my trusted yard, guy told me "those are really bad transmission! We get multiple calls for them everyday!" Not excited about putting another bad time bomb in it. Also, the place misquoted the trans, it's 900! I've found complete cars for 800-1000. I may go that way if I can drive them first to test the trans.

Have we ever come up with a definitive answer on a straight swap of the 6 speed? I know it has been done. Some say it's a straight bolt in, same axles, etc. Others have used different parts. What's the deal? I'll put up with the higher revs to get reliability...

BTW, once the trans is out, I'll let the shop kids tear it down and do a photo series. Should be interesting to see the carnage!
trb

Post by trb »

Sorry that it failed on you, but as long as you get a replacement trans from a 05-08 it should have the improved bearings in it, and last a good long time. Look at the threads others have posted on the 6 speed swap. It looks like it can be a direct swap, but yes, others have changed axles while some have kept the stock ones. I'd just read up on it and then make a decision. Lucky you have a shop to work on it in. I would have loved a lift when I did the clutch on my GT.

Good luck!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

the c60 bolts right on, ive done the swap in my driveway

id do the clutch while you're in there....

you just need to take one of the sensors of your c59 and put it on the c60
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

Here's a new 6-speed with taller gearing like the 5-speed:

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... ts_id=1665
2006 Matrix 5-sp
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

My used 6 speed arrived today! Got the yard to throw in a 6 speed knob, a leather GT steering wheel, and the clutch/pp/flywheel! What a great place to deal with.

Speaking of clutch, who is the OEM for the 6 speed clutch? The one I got with the trans is a LUK, and it looks brand new. I'm thinking it was replaced right before the car went to the yard. No checking or bluing on the flywheel or PP. I think I'm going to run them. I asked the yard to throw them in just in case (they don't sell used clutches), and I may have lucked out.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

LUK is an aftermarket brand

i would just run that
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Great, thanks for the confirmation! New trans, new radio... it's going to be a good week!
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Trans swap done. Started at 10:am, one hour break for lunch, done at 4:00pm. Old fluid was black, with lots of metal particles and sheen. Rotating the input shaft by hand was noisy. The new trans was silent, and the fluid was clear when I dropped it before putting in the Amsoil. Swap went well. Rear mount is a pain, but we had done one before a couple of years ago. Stock flywheel was in surprisingly mint condition, still had factory machining on it. Used that, along with the new GT clutch/PP. Started car, checked all gears and clutch on the lift, all is good. Road test tomorrow!
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

jayoldschool wrote:Trans swap done. Started at 10:am, one hour break for lunch, done at 4:00pm. Old fluid was black, with lots of metal particles and sheen. Rotating the input shaft by hand was noisy. The new trans was silent, and the fluid was clear when I dropped it before putting in the Amsoil. Swap went well. Rear mount is a pain, but we had done one before a couple of years ago. Stock flywheel was in surprisingly mint condition, still had factory machining on it. Used that, along with the new GT clutch/PP. Started car, checked all gears and clutch on the lift, all is good. Road test tomorrow!
Nice
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Wow, it's like a new car. Clutch is perfect, engages much sooner. Shifts smoothly. The ratios and gearing are much more suited to the engine than the old 5 speed. It feels like there is much more power. I'm actually looking forward to daily driving this thing again. Been in a Dodge Caliber for the last week. It's like driving a PT Cruiser with an interior made from Lego.

If you need to replace your 5 speed... go C60 six speed.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

jayoldschool wrote:It's like driving a PT Cruiser with an interior made from Lego.
The PT Cruiser interior is really nice if taken care of. I can't speak for the caliber.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit