2003 GT: Is my clutch going bad?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ZenVibe

2003 GT: Is my clutch going bad?

Post by ZenVibe »

Here's what happens: I hit the gas, and it revs like a beast, but hardly accelerates at all. It's getting so bad at highway speeds that I avoid going over 55 MPH and opt for back roads (where it still happens, but less likelihood of getting smooshed by an 18-wheeler.)

I bought the car 2 years ago(it's at 158k miles now) and it's behaved impeccably until this issue started a couple months ago. A friend of mine said it could be the clutch starting to go (I don't know how old the clutch is -- it could be original equipment.) There's none of the behavior I would expect of a bad clutch -- difficulty going into/out of gear, noise when shifting, need to double-shift to get into first gear -- but nothing else springs to mind.

Any suggestions appreciated!
03 Lava GT
mr.clutch

Re: 2003 GT: Is my clutch going bad?

Post by mr.clutch »

ZenVibe What is happening is you clutch is wearing out that is why it slips. Your list of expected problems are what would happen if it needed bleeding , slave or master cylinder problems or pressure plate failure.
trb

Post by trb »

Agreed. That is how all of my clutches acted before I had to replace them. I've done at least 4 or 5 on my Mustang in 300K miles, two on a prior 78 Fairmont, and one on my current Vibe GT. Worst on the Mustang got so bad I eventually could not drive up my driveway. Had to push it up and into the garage before I could replace it. The Vibe totally disintegrated on me, but it increasingly slipped over the weeks leading up to the failure.

Here is my repair thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43780

Good luck on it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Bingo, clutch is wearing out and slipping.
Think of it this way, your engine is spinning, the transmission needs to spin too and the clutch is the 'grip' that allows the engine to grab the transmission and spin it. When the grip wears out, the engine is still spinning (revs going up) but it's not able to grab the transmission and move the power to the wheels (no increase in speed).
Consider yourself lucky if it's the original clutch, GT's were known for needing new clutches very early on.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
ZenVibe

Post by ZenVibe »

Thanks for the info! Looks like it's time to schedule a clutch replacement before it gives up the ghost entirely :)
03 Lava GT